AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Advanced Location Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

I am working for a client who has dental clinic at four different locations in Houston. I have set up the AdWords campaign and created four different campaigns with each of his clinic locations with relevant keywords. Also I have setup a 5th campaign which has keywords specific to Houston only. I am using both search and display marketing options. However, its been 3 weeks since the campaign is running but the campaign is not generating sufficient response. I have also revised ads text as well but no improvement is visible.

Please share your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Shelly

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author shelly s
September 2015

Re: Google AdWords Advanced Location Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shelley,

This is what I have done with a dental clinic in Australia....

The geo-targeting can be flaky, so too tight a catchment will often result in there simply not being any people that Google can identify as being in the area - or not enough.

So I run two campaigns (my dentist has only one location - you would need to run five) - the first has a fairly tight geo target to the clinic location. Here I use generic keywords such as dentist.... the second has a much wider catchment but all of the keywords have the town as a BMM modifier - or as part of the phrase match keyword.

The issue seems to be down to the broadband hubs - a user in a Houston suburb may simply be identified as being in Houston.

The next thing I do is make sure that my town name is in the ad at least once - preferably in the headline and/or the display url - here's why....

Someone in Smalltown searches for a dentist. He knows he wants a local dentist, but many of the advertisers don't specify as well as they should, so he is likely to see a bunch of irrelevant ads offering dental services. At t his point - because of the tight geo-targeting, you may get your ad served - but because of the issues surrounding geo-location, you may not. Since people are really good at spotting the name of their town in text, you ad will stand out if you have Smalltown in the headline....

But the next step is also important ... seeing the number of irrelevant results (try it - there will be lots) he refines his search and adds "Smalltown" to his query. At this point your other level of keywords kick in and even if he is located as being some way away by Google, the chances are he is your ideal client and your ad should perform well, and at a decent price - because the QS of your keyword for a search that includes the town name should be high.

You can widen your geo catchment quite significantly when you include the town name without diluting the response.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author shelly s
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shelley,

This is what I have done with a dental clinic in Australia....

The geo-targeting can be flaky, so too tight a catchment will often result in there simply not being any people that Google can identify as being in the area - or not enough.

So I run two campaigns (my dentist has only one location - you would need to run five) - the first has a fairly tight geo target to the clinic location. Here I use generic keywords such as dentist.... the second has a much wider catchment but all of the keywords have the town as a BMM modifier - or as part of the phrase match keyword.

The issue seems to be down to the broadband hubs - a user in a Houston suburb may simply be identified as being in Houston.

The next thing I do is make sure that my town name is in the ad at least once - preferably in the headline and/or the display url - here's why....

Someone in Smalltown searches for a dentist. He knows he wants a local dentist, but many of the advertisers don't specify as well as they should, so he is likely to see a bunch of irrelevant ads offering dental services. At t his point - because of the tight geo-targeting, you may get your ad served - but because of the issues surrounding geo-location, you may not. Since people are really good at spotting the name of their town in text, you ad will stand out if you have Smalltown in the headline....

But the next step is also important ... seeing the number of irrelevant results (try it - there will be lots) he refines his search and adds "Smalltown" to his query. At this point your other level of keywords kick in and even if he is located as being some way away by Google, the chances are he is your ideal client and your ad should perform well, and at a decent price - because the QS of your keyword for a search that includes the town name should be high.

You can widen your geo catchment quite significantly when you include the town name without diluting the response.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi stickleback....thanks for your suggestions. Some of these things I have already applied....phrase matching keywords I will apply....:-)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Regarding your concern about "the campaign is not generating sufficient response" I would suggest that the geo targeting may not be the problem, refining the search terms is often the bigger problem with dental office campaigns.

People are strongly influenced by recommendations when they choose a dentist so if their search term includes other dentist names, other dental office brand names or other street names, there is a high probability that they do not represent a potential client, since they already search for a different dentist.

Even if your keyword has the city name in it , it could match a search term which contains a dentist name from the same city.

What type of exclusions I would recommend from your campaigns , to avoid people who already search for some other business which was recommended to them :

1) other dentist names = which means the user does not want to visit your client practice, but rather a different dentist

2) other dentist office names = which also means you have to exclude dentist office brand names from all campaigns. 

3) other street names, which could represent the address of another dental office. For example exclude a boulevard name which is far away from your client's address , but in the same city . 

Another general problem with dentist campaigns is a high number of search terms which represent an intent to read and learn rather than to choose a business. People do a lot of research before actually going to a dentist. So if someone is searching for "how to" or "what is" , they probably do not have a dental emergency and are not a potential client so you can safely exclude these expressions.