AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Good Idea for Negatives or Not?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I've thought of an idea for improving my negative keyword strategy and just wondered if you guys had any thoughts on whether it is a good strategy or not?

Say, for example, you had a hotel website that you ran Adwords for and you ran campaigns on locations and on individual hotel names, would it be a good idea to add the individual hotel names into the location campaigns as negatives?

So, if you had a campaign for London Hotels and had keywords like hotel in london - and you had a campaign for Individual Hotels and had keywords like the Google Hotel, should you add "the Google Hotel" as a negative keyword into the campaign bidding on keywords like "hotel in london".

Although you might get conversions on those words in each campaign because of broad match - would it be better practice to add them as negatives and get the conversions in the correct campaign?

Hope this makes sense - it's quite hard to explain!

Thanks for any advice!

Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Good Idea for Negatives or Not?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello LauraBburn,

My experience with negative keywords is that excessive use of negative keywords in your campaigns could prevent potential relevant traffic to your website.

In your case, it would be better to actually go through the Search Terms Report first and then see if the ad delivery is interfering due to keywords which you are running in separate campaigns.

Search Terms Report will help you identify the right set of negative keywords and you can decide whether to implement them at ad group or campaign level.

When you hover mouse over the speech bubble of your keywords, does it say that the ad is triggering from another keyword in another ad group? For example if you hover mouse over Google Hotel, does it say that ad from the keyword hotel in london is trigerring ad? In that case, you can think of using embedded negatives.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Good Idea for Negatives or Not?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello LauraBburn,

My experience with negative keywords is that excessive use of negative keywords in your campaigns could prevent potential relevant traffic to your website.

In your case, it would be better to actually go through the Search Terms Report first and then see if the ad delivery is interfering due to keywords which you are running in separate campaigns.

Search Terms Report will help you identify the right set of negative keywords and you can decide whether to implement them at ad group or campaign level.

When you hover mouse over the speech bubble of your keywords, does it say that the ad is triggering from another keyword in another ad group? For example if you hover mouse over Google Hotel, does it say that ad from the keyword hotel in london is trigerring ad? In that case, you can think of using embedded negatives.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj