4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Gmail ads and New interface

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I just got an email from Adwords that on January 16 Gmail campaigns will be switched to new interface and several targeting options will be removed and old ads will not be editable.

My question is will old Gmail campaigns be converted to new format and i can still add new ads to existing adgroups and set up new adgroups with new targeting options OR i will have to set up brand new campaigns to replace existing ones?

I have a lot of CPA conversion data as well as CTR CVR data in existing campaigns so if i do have to create new Gmail campaigns i will loose all of the existing optimizations especially CPA ones.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This refers only to the new settings of targeting methods from now on. if some specific  targeting methods in your campaign will not be available further  those should be mentioned in the email

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Gmail ads and New interface

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
But the Gmail ads format in new interface is different than in old. So it's not just the targeting methods. Old gmail ads are not editable in new interface and cannot be copied in new interface.

So unless there is a way to somehow convert old Gmail campaigns to new format I will be loosing all ctr cvr cpa data.
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Eric,

Along with Moshe's correct information, I would add that the historical data will remain. You should simply pause the ads and recreate new ones. This is the standard path forward with AdWords features that are retired. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

"You should simply pause the ads and recreate new ones"

I just opened existing Gmail campaign in New Interface and tried to add new ad to existing Ad Group.

These are the only options that i get
http://prntscr.com/i0jnxi

The help document says

1. Click the plus button .
  2. Select Gmail ad.

There is no way for me to select Gmail ad and create a new one in the existing Gmail campaign that was created in the old interface.

This is why i was asking if Google is planning to "convert" old Gmail campaigns into new Gmail campaign type/format?

Otherwise I have to pause old Gmail campaign, create new Gmail campaign and loose all CPA optimizations that i currently have.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Eric,

Campaigns, ad groups and ad will be pushed over to the new AdWords Experience, but I am not sure about them being converted. Your reply makes me think they will not, sadly. This is also not what my understanding is/was. The best path forward is to plan to make everything new... at some point, but you can certainly wait until you absolutely must. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James and Moshe,

Is there any way to request Google to "convert" Gmail campaigns?

I doubt im the only one who is running into these issues.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Eric,

That is a good question and valid point. There is not a standard process in place and so my initial thought on whether there will be for this specific change would be no. Moshe may be able to provide more on this.

You could call AdWords Support at 866-246-6453 Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (EST) and have them access the account and go over this issue and concerns? If you do contact them, please do let us know what they say. That is a toll-free number in the United States for worldwide support. You can also use this interactive web page that allows the country to be changed for a possible more local phone number. 

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

James,

I brought this issue to Adwords support about 3 weeks ago during our chat/email exchange.

This is the reply i got 

"I've already passed on feedback regards the new interface and how gmail ads are showing up there - you can make our voice stronger by filing for feedback here."

I was hoping that someone on the forum came up with a workaround/solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Did Gmail changes go through?

So far im not seeing any changes.