AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Gmail Ads Problem. Please tell me if you know?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I use Gmail Ads (GSP) and targeting for email database audiences at mail.google.com. I'm curious about my report in Google Analytics which it said has no session or bounce rate from my GSP campaign. But in my Adwords column "Gmail clicks to website" said it has couple hundreds clicks.

Please tell me if you know this problem.

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gmail Ads Problem. Please tell me if you know?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Aliya,

Thanks for posting to the Community! I have a few questions that will help us answer yours. How long has your Gmail campaign been running? What kind of tagging are you using--are you manually tagging your URLs, or are you using the default auto tagging?

Thanks!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie

Thanks for replying me! It has been 1 week since I start the Gmail campaign and still no session.
I'm use auto tagging for the start, but after 4 days no sessions in my GA I use manual tagging. Still show nothing.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Aliya,

A few things to check then:

1. Is your other campaign data importing into Analytics correctly? I.e. Have you made sure that your Analytics and AdWords accounts are properly linked and sharing data?
2. If your accounts are fully linked, you should be able to add the Google Analytics column into the AdWords interface. When you add bounce rate, pages/session, etc. into the Campaigns tab view in AdWords, I'm guessing these columns do not populate for the Gmail campaign as well?

There is the possibility that none of those clicks you received turned into actual sessions, if for example the users closed the window before your site loaded up and Analytics was able to log them as a session. But that's much less likely given that you said it's been hundreds of clicks through to your website.

Cassie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Aliya,

As Cassie mentioned, if your Adwords is not connected to your Analytics and auto taging is not on then those clicks will end up in "direct" traffic.

If everything is correct then you should be able to go to Acquisition > Adwords > Campaigns and find your data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have the same problem on my gmail ads campaign - 80 clicks today, but 0 sessions recorded. What is going on here?

I have Adwords and GA correctly linked as I've been tracking several other campaigns (both search and display) without any problems.

Advice much appreciated.

Best

Marc

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been having the same issue and I believe the issue to be that Gmail ads are charged whenever a user expands the email. 

In short, only users who click-through to your website are marked as a session. This means that you may generate thousands of email opens and be charged for them, but only 5 or so click-throughs to your website. 

Decide on whether your goal is to drive traffic or awareness of your product. If it's the former, perhaps consider pausing the ads.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Exactly just like @ROB L says. In Gmail campaigns a click means that your ad was expanded but it does not mean that they went to your website.

That is the reason for the discrepancies between Adwords and Analytics in this case. En example: Out of 10 people who expanded your ad maybe only 1 clicked again on your call-to-action button and visited your website.

Regards,

Hana