AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Getting the Blue Dot With a Local Extension

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

If you type in "insurance longmont" into Google, you'll see the ad for aldophinsurance has a blue pin beside it. I've been told in order to get that, you can't rank below in Google Places (or you won't have the pin) and you have to set up the local extension by syncing to Google Places (not manually entering the address).  If I set up the local extension on the campaign level and just have a regular text ad, will I get the blue dot?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Getting the Blue Dot With a Local Extension

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joy,

The ads which are displayed with the Blue pin are via Google AdWords Express (http://www.google.com/adwords/express/). AdWords Express is specifically designed keeping in mind advertisers with a local business or advertisers who do not have an online presence or website (they can simply list themselves on Places).

You do not have to bid higher to get a Blue pin. If you are not running on AdWords Express, then even if you are on position one, you will be shown with a Red pin. I don't think you should be worried about the colour, as a user will not know the difference between AdWords Express or AdWords. If your ad is attractive and website is awesome then I guess you don't have anything else to worry about.

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Those pictures are the 3 formats I get with my ads for different keywords but they all have the exact same settings!  I want them all to look like the 3rd on (the one with the dot)

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi JoyHawkins,

What you are seeing are variations of your Location Extensions.  Google does use variations and I'm fairly certain that you cannot decide which ones to use on your ads.

The good news is that your ads rank high enough to have the extensions appear. 

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I notice that the type of extension that's shown varies based on what keyword I type in, but it always stays the same for that particular keyword (so typing in the same keyword on different days doesn't yield different results, only typing in different keywords).  Is there no connection between the type of extension that's shown and the keyword?

Is it true that you'll never get the little bubble/pin beside your listing if your Google Places listing ranks below (I was told this when I called Adwords Support).  They told me that since you already have a pin on the map on the right from your Places listing, you won't get a 2nd pin for your Adwords ad.

Owner of Sterling Sky
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joy,

The ads which are displayed with the Blue pin are via Google AdWords Express (http://www.google.com/adwords/express/). AdWords Express is specifically designed keeping in mind advertisers with a local business or advertisers who do not have an online presence or website (they can simply list themselves on Places).

You do not have to bid higher to get a Blue pin. If you are not running on AdWords Express, then even if you are on position one, you will be shown with a Red pin. I don't think you should be worried about the colour, as a user will not know the difference between AdWords Express or AdWords. If your ad is attractive and website is awesome then I guess you don't have anything else to worry about.

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

The 3rd ad I showed in that example has a blue pin and I'm not using Adwords Express at all.  So I don't think that's true...

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I answered my own question.  I guess what the Google employee told me is wrong because in this picutre, the business (Jenifer Paris) is both in Adwords AND Places and yet still has the blue pin.

Owner of Sterling Sky