AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Getting Leads From Other Locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an account which is only targeting NZ and my Location settings is set to :'People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location'

The other day, a user in the UK searched for their Brand term and they saw the NZ targeted ad. 

The problem is neither did their search term match exactly what I have in my keyword lists and their search term did not include a location 'XXX NZ'. Also, their IP address was a UK one. 

Why then did my ad show up to someone in the UK?

Can someone please help me understand this?

Thanks so much.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Getting Leads From Other Locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hayley,

The system may get a clue from several things to decide the location of interests of a user.  You have already identified two, buy they are not all, here are a few others -

• If the user searches within an area of the map on Google Maps or Google Maps for Mobile
  • If the user sets a custom location for Google search results
  • Uses a country-specific domain, such as google.co.nz, without including another location in the search

Hope that makes sense. 

You can read more about it here -  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?rd=1

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Hayley,

If you don't want to show your ads to locations other than your targeted location you need to choose location target option as "People in my target location".

Depends on various factors Google may show your ads on different locations whether it may be because of users previous searches or the user may changed his Google domain to UK domain "Google.co.uk". I guess this would be the reason for getting clicks or leads from other locations.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This solution will work :

Target : People in my target location
Exclude some locations from where you received impressions.

I am sure this will work out effectively.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey guys,

Sorry..forgot to mention earlier - the user was searching on a google.co.uk - their default domain because there were from the UK. They were even signed in to their gmail which Google has verified sits in the UK.

Which is why I'm puzzled - no NZ IP address, no NZ terms, no search on maps, and the search was made on google UK - how then did my ad show?