AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geographic targetting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi folks, I would appreciate some advice on targetting countries using different TLDs. Consider this situation: Madeupdomain.com targets the US and Canada. At the same time madeupdomain.co.uk contains the same content - it does not have target countries set so by default targets all, but does have specific exclusions for the US & Canada Is that an appropriate way to do it? Thanks! Ozboy
3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Geographic targetting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ozboy,

I think you are close if not already right where you need to be.  I would suggest that you double check your 'Advanced Location Options' to make sure they are in line with your geographic targeting and search intent strategy.  This will depend on whether or not you want to show ads to folks searching about your targeted areas in the US and CA if they are not actually located in US or CA and the same would apply to the rest of the world campaign as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ozboy,

To my understanding, you want to target similar domain with country specific domain extension (like .com. co.uk, .co.au etc...) inside your Adwords account. Please correct me if I misinterpret it.

I would go with a way to create different campaigns with domains specific to those countries. So for UK, I will target example.co.uk, for France: example.co.fr and so on and so forth... Of course there might be other alternatives to do this.

Creating separate campaigns for separate countries will help you identify the core value in terms of your products offered across the world.

You could also create country specific offers containing ads inside those campaigns, so that there is no overlapping and by the end of the day, you are able to calculate real ROI at country level.

This will also help you take business decisions based on the country specific necessities what people are liking and what not.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ozboy,

I think you are close if not already right where you need to be.  I would suggest that you double check your 'Advanced Location Options' to make sure they are in line with your geographic targeting and search intent strategy.  This will depend on whether or not you want to show ads to folks searching about your targeted areas in the US and CA if they are not actually located in US or CA and the same would apply to the rest of the world campaign as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ozboy,

To my understanding, you want to target similar domain with country specific domain extension (like .com. co.uk, .co.au etc...) inside your Adwords account. Please correct me if I misinterpret it.

I would go with a way to create different campaigns with domains specific to those countries. So for UK, I will target example.co.uk, for France: example.co.fr and so on and so forth... Of course there might be other alternatives to do this.

Creating separate campaigns for separate countries will help you identify the core value in terms of your products offered across the world.

You could also create country specific offers containing ads inside those campaigns, so that there is no overlapping and by the end of the day, you are able to calculate real ROI at country level.

This will also help you take business decisions based on the country specific necessities what people are liking and what not.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Ozboy; welcome back;

I agree with Pankaj and Tom. Just one quick addition: if you target the UK you do NOT need to exclude the US.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’