AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geographic Targeting vs. Impression Share Q

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In one campaign geotargeted to multiple geographies, does Google enter auctions evenly geography targeting wise or does it show ads more in geographies expected to get more impressions? 

For example, will I get more even impression share geography wise if I target all US states in one campaign not limited by budget or break out all states into their own duplicate campaigns? It shouldn't matter but my gut tells me that Google probably shows more ads to geographies it expects to get more impressions/clicks. 

The specific application of this question is that one account has campaigns targeted to multiple territories (not limited by budget) but receives most of its impression share from CA & TX. I'm wondering if separating out the territories into their own campaigns would help get more even impression share, or if demand is already being dictated by potential volume?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GOGIAGO
September 2015

Re: Geographic Targeting vs. Impression Share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello GOGIAGO; welcome to Adwords community;

This is a nice question...

• Your ad's eligibility to appear, is a result of your keyword triggering an ad, that enters an auction and gets an ad-rank (high enough) to win a slot.
  • A given keyword triggers an ad against a search query by a user within your Geo-targeted area,
  • So, if you get more ads shown to users in CA and TX , there are probably more searches for your product / service in those locations.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GOGIAGO
September 2015

Re: Geographic Targeting vs. Impression Share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello GOGIAGO; welcome to Adwords community;

This is a nice question...

• Your ad's eligibility to appear, is a result of your keyword triggering an ad, that enters an auction and gets an ad-rank (high enough) to win a slot.
  • A given keyword triggers an ad against a search query by a user within your Geo-targeted area,
  • So, if you get more ads shown to users in CA and TX , there are probably more searches for your product / service in those locations.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Geographic Targeting vs. Impression Share Q

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello GOGIAGO,

In addition to Moshe's spot on response, I would like to add about trending search volumes in various geographical regions. It happens that people in one region might be searching more on some particular keywords and less on others depending upon their locations. To know more about your particular account and the keywords, you might be interested in finding these trends over Google Insight for Search.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Re: Geographic Targeting vs. Impression Share Q

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I think there is another point you should take into consideration, which is to boost your overall CTR to make your ads more eligible to show.

Lets say you have a CTR of 20% in CA and a CTR of 1% in the rest of the country.

Seperating by geotarget would make you a top player in california, but probably not guarantee an impression in the rest of the US.

If you select the US as a whole this would give a average CTR which will be better than 1% and you ads will show more often in the rest of the US than in the geo-seperated scenario.

This scenario makes sense if you cannot get the CTR to be better in the rest of the US, but the rest of the US is the part where you make the most conversions.

Hope you understand what I mean and this helps you.