AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geo targeting discrepancies

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My geotargeting is set to the narrowest setting possible:  people in the area (not "people in the area and/or interested in the area.")  Yet, a substantial portion of my google adwords traffic comes from geo locations which are identified as outside the area by my other tracking software.  Way outside the area.  Regarding the true location of these visitors, I know that google is wrong and the other tracking methods are right, because: Sometimes the visitors call me and they are several states away from my geo area.  Sometimes the website visitors don't call me, but I see browsing behavior consistent with being in the wrong area, for instance they go to my contact page and begin to fill out a web form, then click on the map in the corner of the contact webpage, then leave without completing the email contact.

If my cheap-ola third party tracking software knows where these people are, and aw stats knows where these people are, and any ip lookup webpage knows where they are, then why does Google think they are in my area? At least, I don't see any clicks in google Adwords outside my geo targeting.  This is not limited to mobile only or desktop only. This seems to have increased lately and is probably 10% or more of my budget.  Why?  Is everyone having this problem?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Geo targeting discrepancies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Simple answer: Geo targeting is not perfect, especially the radius targeting.
What country are you targeting?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am targeting particular neighborhoods in California. I receive adwords clicks from many states away. All the other sources that track location data (like the free ip lookup info online, a private traffic tracking that I have installed, and aw stats) all get the location correct. I know the location is correct because people call me and tell me they are in that location, among other reasons. It is not correlated with mobile only. I have even tried unsetting the "target people in my geographic location only" and resetting it just in case there was some kind of database synching problem. Also, the traffic does not appear to be from people 'interested in my geographical location' anyway. It just appears to be random traffic from outside the location.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree.!

This should not have happened. Geo targeting in CA is pretty accurate.....
Have called CS asking them to investigate the issue?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello, Adrian. Are you sure they are AdWords visitors? I mean do you see, in awstats or your other application a call to a URL that contains the gclid (if auto-tagging is enabled) which is clearly attributed to a location outside the targeted area?

I could imagine the following two scenarios:
- people click your ad when they are in the right area and then finish the visit when they are outside (they leave the browser open or bookmark the URL)
- people are outside the targeted area but reach you through sources other than AdWords (organic, referral, direct, social, e-mail, etc.)

When asking where they're from and talking to them, did you also ask them if they just clicked on an ad?

I'm not saying this is what happened, please understand that. I'm merely describing scenarios, speculating, trying to understand why AdWords would mess things up so badly.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, all signs indicate they are from google adwords. I guess I will have to go more systematically through my server logs and see if I can address this more. What is CS?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
CS= Customer Service

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brother, please