AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running a campaign primarily for the UK market. I am GEO targeting by province but I have opted into

'People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location'. This is fine as I am receving conversions in some cases. This traffic seems to congregate under 'United Kingdom' in traffic reports as well as under 'where my users are' which is split by various countries outside the UK. For the moment I do not want to bid up or down on various countries which are bringing in visitors.

My question is under location reports, all of this external traffic seems to be appearing under 'United Kingdom' area where as all the UK traffic is split correctly under 'by province'. If I bid down on the United Kingdom area will this affect all my traffic or just the external countries which are being targeted, or will my 'by province' bidding take priority.

Hard to explain, but hope you understand, and thanks in advance for your help!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben F
February 2016

Re: Geo Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ben F I think I understand what you're asking, but if I've misunderstood, please accept my apologies!

Bid adjusting your UK target will affect all bids (and will therefore be largely pointless) since the visitors from other countries are being generated by that UK target with the settings "people interested in".  If you want greater control over bidding on all countries, you'll need those countries entered as individual geo targets but you'll have to consider how you do this.  Geo targeting is (in my opinion) missing a key option where you can specify a country of interest and countries as "in" targets so, for example, you could ask for people in France who are interested in the UK.  Nah, can't do that with AdWords (at least not directly).  So, if you've got people in countries outside the UK, who are useful for your site and reaching it by expressing an interest, then you're probably going to need a more complex structure.

How I'd probably approach it is to create one Campaign (or set of) for the UK only and set the Advanced Settings to "people in" alone.  This at least gives you one clear, easy to manage aspect of your Account.  If you're not already doing so, I'd recommend targeting by counties individually for fine control rather than just the "United Kingdom".  Then I'd have X Campaigns targeted at the best selling countries, again using the "in" setting, but now using Keywords that indicate a UK interest which, in all probability, would simply mean adding the abbreviation "UK" to your Keywords.

As a "belt and braces" solution I'd possibly also continue running a Campaign as you are now, with a low budget and reduced CPCs to "catch" any additional traffic that might be available.

It's a great shame the location settings aren't more flexible as the idea I've proposed of being able to separate interest and target (and have been asking about for years) would be the perfect solution to your problem.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben F
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ben F I think I understand what you're asking, but if I've misunderstood, please accept my apologies!

Bid adjusting your UK target will affect all bids (and will therefore be largely pointless) since the visitors from other countries are being generated by that UK target with the settings "people interested in".  If you want greater control over bidding on all countries, you'll need those countries entered as individual geo targets but you'll have to consider how you do this.  Geo targeting is (in my opinion) missing a key option where you can specify a country of interest and countries as "in" targets so, for example, you could ask for people in France who are interested in the UK.  Nah, can't do that with AdWords (at least not directly).  So, if you've got people in countries outside the UK, who are useful for your site and reaching it by expressing an interest, then you're probably going to need a more complex structure.

How I'd probably approach it is to create one Campaign (or set of) for the UK only and set the Advanced Settings to "people in" alone.  This at least gives you one clear, easy to manage aspect of your Account.  If you're not already doing so, I'd recommend targeting by counties individually for fine control rather than just the "United Kingdom".  Then I'd have X Campaigns targeted at the best selling countries, again using the "in" setting, but now using Keywords that indicate a UK interest which, in all probability, would simply mean adding the abbreviation "UK" to your Keywords.

As a "belt and braces" solution I'd possibly also continue running a Campaign as you are now, with a low budget and reduced CPCs to "catch" any additional traffic that might be available.

It's a great shame the location settings aren't more flexible as the idea I've proposed of being able to separate interest and target (and have been asking about for years) would be the perfect solution to your problem.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Jon_Gritton,

Thanks for your quick and very detailed answer. You did understand me correctly and that was what I thought just wanted to be sure before making any changes. It is unfortunate that you cannot bid on external UK users as a whole as well as by country, but I guess that's the limitation of adwords GEO targeting. Perhaps in the future they will address this.

Thanks again.

Ben

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Ben,

I agree with Jon's strategy of creating a new campaign to target countries outside of the UK with UK specific keywords. Another way to build a keyword list for these additional countries beyond appending "UK" would be to mine your search term report for any query containing a location and add those to the list. Secondly, while AdWords won't allow you to segment keyword/search term by geo (or vice versa) you can use Google Analytics. Go to the "Audience > Geo > Location" report and add "Keyword" as a secondary dimension. Unfortunately you can't view actual search terms but this may be somewhat useful.

Also, I think you may be able to implement your desired strategy without creating a new campaign to target other countries. Under locations, try targeting the entire UK as well as add every province as a location target. Say all your provinces have a +10% bid adjustment and the UK target has a -15% bid adjustment. If someone in the UK searches one of your keywords the bid used will be +10% since they are in a UK province and that should supersede the country bid adjustment. If someone outside of the UK searches one of your keywords with a location qualifier like "UK" then I believe the bid would be -15% since they couldn't match to a specific province. Be curious to hear what others think of this strategy.
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply, if your second strategy works this was really what I was looking to do, I just wasnt sure whether the province setting would override the UK settings. Will give it a shot and see.

thanks,

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Ben,

The second strategy should work. In the US campaigns that I manage my target locations are the United States as a country and each individual state. I use a 0% bid adjustment on the United States and a positive/negative bid adjustment for each state based on performance.

In the Settings > Locations tab of AdWords I can see that the states with heavy negative bid adjustments still get a lot of traffic. This validates the theory that the more exact location bid adjustment is used. If this wasn't the case then the states with negative bid adjustments would have no traffic because that traffic would utilize the 0% bid adjustment on the United States.

Curious to know how this works out for you.

-Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Asa general rule Google will always apply the most granular targeting.. so if the same user falls in the UK, but also falls in London, the bid adjustment for London will be the one used...

There is a good overview of this here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en