AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Targeting - Can't reach postcodes in desired areas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've set up my ad campaign with geo targeting of a couple of postcodes, however some postcode areas aren't targetable, AdWords doesn't recognise it.

Any idea why this would be or suggestions? 

When i use radius targeting It includes areas across the water which I don't want to include. 

Not sure if its down to the fact the postcode area might not have enough searches to qualify or if AdWords just hasn't gotten around to including it yet..

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley R
September 2015

Re: Geo Targeting - Can't reach postcodes in desired areas

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ashley R,

Welcome to the community!

May I know which country you're targeting by postcode?

You can target by postcodes, but from experience the volumes through postcodes have been very small, even when targeting multiple postcodes. And this is exactly why some aren't targetable in your case - it won't bring considerable traffic as you want anyway.

I assumed it was down to the fact that devices won't share such specific information with Google.

Depending on the size of the location then small Radii are probably the best way to go. It's not going to be perfect though. Due to technology / telecom infrastructure not being perfect, a user physically within the targeted area, could easily be assigned (by the system) to the neighboring radius, or be excluded.

Hope it might help!

Thanks,
Jason

< Note to Jason Zhang from Community Manager: Please note that when quoting or excerpting content that has been written by others, it is important that you both credit the source you have quoted, and link to the original content. Thank you. >

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley R
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ashley R,

Welcome to the community!

May I know which country you're targeting by postcode?

You can target by postcodes, but from experience the volumes through postcodes have been very small, even when targeting multiple postcodes. And this is exactly why some aren't targetable in your case - it won't bring considerable traffic as you want anyway.

I assumed it was down to the fact that devices won't share such specific information with Google.

Depending on the size of the location then small Radii are probably the best way to go. It's not going to be perfect though. Due to technology / telecom infrastructure not being perfect, a user physically within the targeted area, could easily be assigned (by the system) to the neighboring radius, or be excluded.

Hope it might help!

Thanks,
Jason

< Note to Jason Zhang from Community Manager: Please note that when quoting or excerpting content that has been written by others, it is important that you both credit the source you have quoted, and link to the original content. Thank you. >

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Jason! I think you might be right re postcodes not having enough volume, as I'm seeing really poor impressions at the moment so had been working on ad quality etc but not much better! Will try adding a couple of radiuses and see how I get on with that.

Thanks again for your reply!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Ashley R;

To my best recollection, postcode (aka zip code) targeting is only available in the USA

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’