AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Target Ads in Campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey All,

Is is possible to geo target just one ad in a campaign, but not all of them?  So all other ads would still target the entire country while one only targets a specific DMA? If so then is it possible to add geo specific sitelinks to the geo ad?

Thanks,

Curtis

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Geo Target Ads in Campaign

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi CBWY5, 

Here are your options: 

1. Use location targeting and have a separate campaign for each of your locations: have one campaign targeting the geo target you want and then exclude this area from your other campaign targeting the entire country
  2. Use location based bid adjustments: you could set an increased bid adjustment for a certain radius or area of a country using location based bid adjustments, keeping all your targets in the one place but giving priority to one or two specific places

In the first example it is possible to have geo-specific sitelinks because you will be adding them to a campaign that is specifically targeting a particular location. In the second example, you will not be able to do this because the settings are at campaign level and can't be assigned to a specific location, so if you are wanting to target a specific location with specific ads or sitelinks, you would be best to use a separate campaign. 

Let us know if you have any other questions, 

Hannah

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi CBWY5, 

Here are your options: 

1. Use location targeting and have a separate campaign for each of your locations: have one campaign targeting the geo target you want and then exclude this area from your other campaign targeting the entire country
  2. Use location based bid adjustments: you could set an increased bid adjustment for a certain radius or area of a country using location based bid adjustments, keeping all your targets in the one place but giving priority to one or two specific places

In the first example it is possible to have geo-specific sitelinks because you will be adding them to a campaign that is specifically targeting a particular location. In the second example, you will not be able to do this because the settings are at campaign level and can't be assigned to a specific location, so if you are wanting to target a specific location with specific ads or sitelinks, you would be best to use a separate campaign. 

Let us know if you have any other questions, 

Hannah

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the first option will be the best one for me. Since my geo target will be excluded from the existing campaign using the same keywords won't cause competition correct?

Thanks,
Curtis

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

That's exactly right Curtis. As long as you're targeting two different areas, your keywords will not compete with each other. 

Let us know if you need any more advice once it's set up. Smiley Happy

- Hannah

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Hannah,
I have a follow up question on the geo target campaigns. So I have set up my location specific campaigns as suggested above and they are working really well! My next question is about the search term report and is it possible to see a search term location? The reason i ask this is because under the "were your uses were" tab i'm getting sporadic users from locations outside of my geo target location...there are search terms that include the name of our company and the city included in the geo target so i'm hoping that these are the search terms people using outside of our target. The campaign setting, is currently set to include"people in, searching for, or viewing pages about my target location." so i can change this to only people in the target location, but would like to capture any traffic from people who may be planning a trip or something to where one of our stores is located and are the actual ones using the search terms mentioned above.

Thanks,
Curtis