AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Geo Location Overlaps - what happens when locations overlap?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client operates all across their city of 4,000,000- Melbourne, Australia, so most Campaigns will target 'Melbourne'.

I'd like to test any change in results (CPC ,CTR, showroom visits etc.)  we get by targeting a 15km radius around their physical location..  if we do a separate Campaign, with the same ad groups and ads, will that create any problem with AdWords

How would ad ranking and CPC be likely to be affected?

Any other advice would be most welcome?

Thanks in advance ;-)

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John P
September 2015

Re: Geo Location Overlaps - what happens when locations overlap?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello John,

if you will be targeting the same keywords in the same locations within multiple campaigns, then these keywords will compete with each other. That means one of your Ad will win over another - one of your ads will get boosted in CTR and probably you will see the same or lower CPC in some time, but statistics for the other ad will get worse.

What you want to do is location exclusion for that 15km radius in your campaigns that are targeting Melbourne as a whole. This way you will be targeting two different locations.

Alex

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John P
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello John,

if you will be targeting the same keywords in the same locations within multiple campaigns, then these keywords will compete with each other. That means one of your Ad will win over another - one of your ads will get boosted in CTR and probably you will see the same or lower CPC in some time, but statistics for the other ad will get worse.

What you want to do is location exclusion for that 15km radius in your campaigns that are targeting Melbourne as a whole. This way you will be targeting two different locations.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@John P;

Google data shows that in Australia geo targeting is available up to a city level.

Thus, I don't know how accurate would be a (relatively  small) radius targeting within the "city line"  of Melbourne.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXclFw9v2cWdEtuZUJPY1dhR0RmQ2tvZkxPeVMxT1E#gid=0

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi John,

Does your client have a location extension enabled? If so, you can take a look at the Distance Report in the dimensions tab to see data for visitors in varying radii (distance) from your business. Generally I find that there are higher conversion rates for people closer to the business but that there is still conversion volume to be had outside of that.

In my experience, if your budgets aren't currently capped, you might find that you lose out on conversion volume but if your budgets are capped, you might find that targeting sma smaller area boosts your conversion rate. This also depends on if business can be done online or if it must be in person.

All that to say, the distance report might be able to give you some preliminary data. Like Alex said, running two campaigns at once for the same geography is never perfect.

Hope this helps!
Amy

AmyBishopMarketing.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Amy for your enquiry about whether the client has location extension enabled- they don't, but I've learned something.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for respoding, Moshe. It's appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks, Alex, you nailed it for me.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Glad I could help John!