AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Generate Display Ads -Why need both Flash+Html?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

HI, While generating ads inside display campaign via - Generate displaya ads, It create 2 type of ads - FLASH & HTML5?

Should we keep both format and why?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sagarika E (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Generate Display Ads -Why need both Flash+Html?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Anil,

As far as I know, you can create ads in flash format and then based on the device which the user is using to view your ads, Adwords can convert it from flash into HTML5 version. That's because some devices doesn't support Flash. You need to make sure that you use the specifics required to create SWF file of flash ad as per Adwords policy.

Find more details in this reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722096?hl=en

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Anil!

I think keeping both formats is a good idea if you are targeting mobile devices as well, especially since flash is currently not supported by iPhones and iPads.

If you are targeting mobiles and if users who are using iPhones and iPads form a majority of your target audience, it's good to use HTML5 ads so that there are not many rendering issues.

I found these details from this article, copying some content from it for your understanding Smiley Happy

Landing pages for ads on these mobile devices shouldn't include Flash or other design elements that may not render properly on a mobile device. Flash is currently not supported on iPhones or iPads, and has only limited support on Android and other high-end mobile devices.

If your site doesn't display properly on mobile web browsers (for example, because it uses Flash or contains large images), our system will not show your ad to users on a mobile device. However, your ad can still appear as usual to non-mobile users.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Sagarika E (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Anil,

As far as I know, you can create ads in flash format and then based on the device which the user is using to view your ads, Adwords can convert it from flash into HTML5 version. That's because some devices doesn't support Flash. You need to make sure that you use the specifics required to create SWF file of flash ad as per Adwords policy.

Find more details in this reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722096?hl=en

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Anil!

I think keeping both formats is a good idea if you are targeting mobile devices as well, especially since flash is currently not supported by iPhones and iPads.

If you are targeting mobiles and if users who are using iPhones and iPads form a majority of your target audience, it's good to use HTML5 ads so that there are not many rendering issues.

I found these details from this article, copying some content from it for your understanding Smiley Happy

Landing pages for ads on these mobile devices shouldn't include Flash or other design elements that may not render properly on a mobile device. Flash is currently not supported on iPhones or iPads, and has only limited support on Android and other high-end mobile devices.

If your site doesn't display properly on mobile web browsers (for example, because it uses Flash or contains large images), our system will not show your ad to users on a mobile device. However, your ad can still appear as usual to non-mobile users.

Hope this helps!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sagarika - Our flash designer uses Action Script 3.0 and therefore we do not see the option allowing Google to create a html5 version of the ad. I'm not sure whether he uses filters or blending but probably he does. In addition, I'm not comfortable with the idea of automating the process of converting flash ads to html5. I've not seen a single tool (Swiffy included) that can do it well consistently. Yet. That said, I'd like to strongly encourage you to let us upload an alternate jpeg or gif. Seems to me that would make much more sense. Most major ad servers, DFP included, allow one to do this. Not sure why AdWords as a DSP does not offer this capability. Please kindly pass along my suggestion. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dreamerdad, your designer can't see this option because it's only available when your banner is programmed in AS2. The converting process is always a success for us and it's way more attractive than a simple backup image.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Jean-Christophe - Thanks for your insight!