AdWords
6.9K members online now
6.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GTM firing tags but not showing data in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am migrating to Google Tag Manager, the tags are firing but there is no data showing in Google Analytics.

I have already ruled out the following issues:

• Conflicting tracking code from GTM and GA
  • Incorrect account ID in tags
  • Incorrect filter

I am stumped! Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Talia

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GTM firing tags but not showing data in Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Talia,

Please be advised that for your data to show in Google Analytics standard reports, you may want to to wait approximately 24 hours or even a bit more, till raw data get processed.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Talia,

Can you elaborate on which tags you've set up and what the migration looks like? Is the ONLY instance to Analytics tracking being served through GTM at this point?

I would start with just a simple, plain Universal Analytics (page view) tag and run that on all pages, make sure to test and then publish. You should then be able to view realtime Analytics to see if traffic is being collected (you mentioned filters, you obviously want to make sure that you are testing in an environment that will allow for traffic to be recorded.). Then you can work through your additional tags.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

This has been going on for longer than 24 hours unfortunately,.

I should have made that clear in my question!

Thanks for your help anyway Smiley Happy

Talia

GTM firing tags but not showing data in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same problem.  In preview mode, I see tags firing on http://royalentertainmentdjs.com/thanks/.  But nowhere in GA can I find the event data. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Tribal D,

Tag directly can't be published. First you have to paste container code inside head section of every web page and another additional code in body section. Then tag can be published.

checking within google analytics

go to google analytics > admin panel > tracking information > tracking code > status

1.png

and then hit send test traffic button. a new pop window will be opened and 1 active user will be shown above the test button. If this is the case that means everything is fine. if not then definitely there is an issue.

checking with google tag assistant extension

in GTM, press preview button as shown on picture

note | before doing this make sure you have installed google tag manager extension.

2.png

go to your site and hit page refresh button. a window from bottom will be opened automatically after refreshing the page and will tell you which tag is fired and which one is not on that particular page.

3.png

If tag fired that means tag is working properly. if not then there is something wrong.

Might be your method of tag firing is not correct. also make sure that tags icons color in google tag manager wouldn't be red. it should be green or at least blue.

Screenshot (77).png

If none of the option is correct regarding your issue then there is more chances that issue is related to your migration method. so, make sure to check out this complete tutorial, migrating from google analytics to GTM.

Hope it will be helpful.