AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GDN location and gender targeting

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm pretty sure similar questions have been posted but this one is a bit more advanced.

Let's say, in GDN, I'm targeting US, with CA +10%, and I would like to target +10% for males in a specific ad group xyz.  The cummulative bid would then be: CurrentBid *(1.1)*(1.1). Is this correct?

Assuming the bid adjustment for females is flat, a bid for females in CA woudl be CurrenBid*1.1, correct?

Now, if we target San Francisco and go with -30%, then the male from San Francisco bid woudl be CurrentBidx(1.1)(1.1)(0.7), is this correct?

For other adgroups, only the CA +10% would apply across the board assuming there are no adgroup level micro bids.

I'd appreciate your clarification on this and hopefully I'm doing this properly.

Re: GDN location and gender targeting

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Marlon, Welcome to the Community,

1) "Let's say, in GDN, I'm targeting US, with CA +10%, and I would like to target +10% for males in a specific ad group xyz.  The cummulative bid would then be: CurrentBid *(1.1)*(1.1). Is this correct?"

Yes that is correct. The campaign bid adj for location gets multiplied with the bid adj of the targeting method that matched the click, in this case the gender male.

2) "Assuming the bid adjustment for females is flat, a bid for females in CA woudl be CurrenBid*1.1, correct?"

A: Yes, it is like you would multiply with a bid adjustment of x1.0 for gender = females.

3) "  Now, if we target San Francisco and go with -30%, then the male from San Francisco bid woudl be CurrentBidx(1.1)(1.1)(0.7), is this correct?  "

This is not correct, because smaller locations override bid adj. for larger locations that include them according to this page : link

( expand Setting multiple adjustments and read following )

"

Multiple location bid adjustments

Multiple adjustments that apply to the same location won't be combined. If you set an adjustment of +50% for France, and +100% for Paris, only the adjustment for Paris, the most specific location, will be used for traffic from users in Paris."

So the resulting bid for Males in San Francisco would be : CurrentBidx((1.1)(0.7)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Adrian,

In #3, yes, I should have recognized that the more refined location presides and in this case no "stacking" of the two geo targets. Thanks for the clarification.

Do you feel would ever get geo targeting capability at the adgroup level?

Marlon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Try to send an improvement request using this form :

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/cfeedback

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Adrian,

I knew there was one other very important item I needed to ask. In my GDN, I do managed placements. If I do geo bid adjustments, these are by % only, not actual bid amount.

Here's one example where this won't work. In a given Adgroup, I have the max CPC set at $8.00 but the avg. CPC is around $0.65. If I have a geo bid adjustment of -50%, theoretically, this bid adjustment should not affect the avg. CPC.

Here's why: 50% decrease of the adgroup bid goes to to $4.0 max CPC. And, if the avg. CPC is $0.65, I am still well over this, hence the % adjustment won't work? Can you share your thoughts on this?

I realize you can do "Enable custom bid" at the adgroup level and let's say in the example above, I set it to $0.32 (~50% decrease), how does the geo bid now get affected?

Marlon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"In a given Adgroup, I have the max CPC set at $8.00 but the avg.CPC is around $0.65 "

- The avg. cpc. value only indicates how low your competitors also bidded. If your competitor bidded 0.6 $ and you bided 8$ or 80 $, you are ranked higher than the competitor ( if you have the same QS) , but you only pay what he bidded + 1 cent.

"If I have a geo bid adjustment of -50%, theoretically, this bid adjustment should not affect the avg. CPC."

Why not ? It will affect all MaxCPC values belonging to the Custom Bid targetting , if the user receiving the impression matches the location setting.

Here's why: 50% decrease of the adgroup bid goes to to $4.0 max CPC. And, if the avg. CPC is $0.65, I am still well over this, hence the % adjustment won't work? Can you share your thoughts on this?

You are just wondering why your Avg cpc is so low ?

1) What was the MaxCPC of your managed placement where you have seen this avg cpc ? If you set for example a bid of 1$ for a placement, the MaxCPC of the Ad group no longer matters. By changing the MaxCPC bid for a single placement, you turn on the "Enable custom bids" for the Placements targeting method. This is what managed placements mean, custom bids for placements.

2) The geo targeting is working but it is decreasing all MaxCPC of your managed placements , when the user receives an impression matching the location with this -50% adjustment. So if you had a 2$ MaxCPC for the placement , the bid became 1$ for the adjusted location

3) The avg. cpc. means only that you were charged what your competitor bellow bided for that click + 1 cent.

Also by beeing an average, the avg. cpc value can mean that for a click the cost could have been1 $ and for another click the cost could have been 0.3 $, thus from 2 clicks the average is 0.65 $

"I realize you can do "Enable custom bid" at the adgroup level"

The "enable custom bid" function is at the targeting method level. Only one targeting method can have custom bids. So you can have custom bids for Display keywords, for Placements, for Gender, For topics, for age segments, etc.

Once a targeting has "custom bids" the Ad Group MaxCPC is no longer used for auctions ( impressions).

If you use a custom bid for a placement ( not the ad group) of $0.32 and a geo Adjustment of -50%, the bid is 0.16 $. 

At least this is how I interpret things. If any other forum user has a different opinion, please join to explain.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"If I have a geo bid adjustment of -50%, theoretically, this bid adjustment should not affect the avg. CPC."

Why not ? It will affect all MaxCPC values belonging to the Custom Bid targetting , if the user receiving the impression matches the location setting.

--> What I meant here is this:  at a MaxCPC of $8.00 at the adgroup (with bids for managed placements set at default) and with a -50% geo target adjustment, I am still going to see avg. CPC around  $0.60.  It would be safe to assume that with the adjustment to MaxCPC $4.00, I should still be well ahead of competitors, perhaps will slightly less traffic.

1) What was the MaxCPC of your managed placement where you have seen this avg cpc ? If you set for example a bid of 1$ for a placement, the MaxCPC of the Ad group no longer matters. 

My ad group in this case had 1 placement (which defaulted to the ad group bid), so a change in the adgroup ad affected only one placement.  I understand the concept of the managed placement bid and its behavior with the adgroup bid.

So along these lines, if I had an Ad group bid of $8, with two managed placements each set at $1, with male gender set at -50% and geo target set at 100% for specific area, the bid should be:

$1(0.5)(2) = $1 bid for this target.

Basically, unaffected.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Yes when your avg. cpc is much lower than your resulting Ad Group bid decreased by 50% with the location bid you could be lead to belive that your Ad Group bid is high enough not to be affected by the location decrease.

But when you visit the Ads tab , you could realise that your average pos was around 2 instead of 1 . What can this mean ( in theory) ? It can mean that your next competitor ( the one gaining slot 1) has a combined bid of perhaps 4.1 MaxCPC so you cannot beat him with the 4$ bid ( of course if you have the same QS), because his Ad Rank is a little higher so he took the first slot.

2) About 

So along these lines, if I had an Ad group bid of $8, with two managed placements each set at $1, with male gender set at -50% and geo target set at 100% for specific area, the bid should be:

Why do you multiply with 2 also ? Because there are 2 placements ? If so, it is incorrect, each MaxCPC is calculated for every "row of targeting" , for every placement so the bid for the first placement is $1 ( 0.5 because of gender bid adjustment)  x 1.0 ( bid adjusment left untouched for location) = 0.5 $ MaxCPC for that placement.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To understand better the meaning of avg.cpc. for a GDN placement , I would recommend reading the example from the second table in the link bellow (even if it is from the adsense documentation). It also explains the concept of incremental clicks :

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/160525?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Why do you multiply with 2 also ? Because there are 2 placements ?

Let me explain why I use 2 in the above calculation.  Since I am doing a bid adjustment of 100% for geo target, a 100% increase of anything is twice (2) the original value, hence 2!  I think the other parts are self-explanatory.