AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GDN giving me a load of dubious sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all

A while ago I asked for some help in turning off Display web sites that we were appearing on that were of no use.  When I exclude all the categories that the UI suggests I don't get any traffic at all, despite electing both placements and keywords

In the past I just got really relevant ads on some great web sites.  No all I got was 2000 dollars worth of absolute garbage.  One advert for Auto Parts was showing on a web site for sex toys, and celebrity gossip.  Really, it was just utter spam.  The culprits were people selling taboola adverts, I suppose the new version of MFA sites.  Rather depressing because GDN used to be really good.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong to get all these sites?

Thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN giving me a load of dubious sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You were targeting by placements+keywords and you still ended up with random garbage sites?

Or what was your initial targeting criteria?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes exactly that. I didn't exclude any categories because that option
wasn't there when the campaign was last run in 2013.

Did Google make that default now? If I turn off a the targeting options
will I still get traffic?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you select keywords (which will always be used to determine the content around which your ads will show - but using broad match) and placements - you MUST choose the option to Target AND Bid for the placements - and not the default option of Bid Only.

Here's why... target and bid is cumulative - i.e. the content that triggers your keywords must also be on the placements you list. If you leave the setting as Bid Only, then Google will target the placements, but will also run ads on any other site where the content matches your keywords.

Change the placements setting to Target and Bid and that should achieve what you are hoping for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you, do you have a screen shot where i choose that for a campaign that is already running?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul E
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Sure:

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 23.57.56.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 23.58.24.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 23.58.37.png

and finally, don't forget......

Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 23.58.48.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul E
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Could you elaborate on your targeting methods? Are you targeting by  "topics"? How many keywords are you using?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
this is really helpful but I still think I am missing something on the options

Site category options

Error pages
Forums
Photo-sharing pages
Social networks
Sexually suggestive
Juvenile, gross, and bizarre
Profanity and rough language
15 more

Do I have to turn all of these off if I just want keywords and good placements that we managed in the past? I used to spend hours a day doing this and I am totally confused now.

In the example above, is it possible for you to just run on those 10 placements? Imagine you had no keywords and didn't want any of the sites that Google suggested. can you just run those 10? If so we can take off exactly where we finished in 2013?

Thanks, I am trying to do a screen grab but I don't understand If I have to host the image or this forum can do that?

MosheTLV 'we built both tight and loose themes of 1 to 20 keywords in the past. I would have to check now, but does it matter how many we have? Do match types work these days? Thank you also!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Paul :
Match types do not work on the display network. On display all keywords work collectively to define a "theme", which is matched to web pages with relevant content. Hence, 10-15 keywords should do.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’