AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GDN exclusions for languages

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is there a way for automatic placements such as topics or interests to avoid impressions on foreign domains ...let's say i want only spanish speaking websites and not french ones ?

Tks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GDN exclusions for languages

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

If you already have language targeting in your campaign, here is what has been the feedback from google on this :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Language-Targeting/m-p/187668/highlight/true#M198...

What I would do would be to make a colection of common words from those foreign languages and use them as negative keywords if they have no meaning in english. There could be words found on every page like "the" or "yes" , but in the indian variant.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Adrian..

Ok  so no simple and easy solution so as to exlude domain with a specific language  Smiley Sad . I 'll try negative exclusion then...

Tks a lot..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
There is also the option whereby you can choose the language your audience speaks. You'll find it under the "Settings" tab at campaign level. About half way down the page.

Is that what you were looking for? Google also states that it won't translate any pages for you.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Gemma,

Tks.. i've seen that already but  for Gdn, i've noticed no influence ..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Another part display ads popping up in other countries can be due to remarketing. So if any user visits your website from any country, then it might happen that due to remarketing you have placements from other countries and also other languages.

One strategy to not let this happen is excluding countries at the campaign level. Hope this helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks ChetanP for your comments

Do you mean for remarketing campaign only ? Or can i use geo target exclusions on GDN to avoid at least the banners being served outside a specific country ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello;

Language targeting on the display network is a very tricky issue since the system uses many indications to try and determine if pages are relevant to show an ad,

What I have found is the following;

• I like  managed placements - sites that are relevant to your business in the language that you target;
  • Use keywords for contextual targeting - to determine a theme which  is matched to the content of  a web page. The system recognizes the language. So, if you have a list of KWs in Spanish that define a theme -  the system most likely shows the ads in Spanish  websites. However; remember, that if a Spanish user (i.e. One of the  user's preference languages  is set to Spanish) is browsing an English content page, the user  may see ads in Spanish

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks Moshe...

I'll try to dirve my themes with keywords targeted in a specific language.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes you can use geo targeting for any campaign. I would suggest you do it and also use the strategy Moshe TLV has suggested you. 

Hope this helps.Smiley Happy