AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GDN bid auction and "ad units"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is Google's explanation of the display network bid auction: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2996564?hl=en

Everything there makes sense, except they use the term "ad unit", but I'm not sure what the definition of an ad unit is. It sounds like all GDN bid auctions occur for a specific ad unit. But, can a single web page contain more than one ad unit? If so, how is it determined which ad unit an ad will be in an auction for?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author xenophone
September 2015

Re: GDN bid auction and "ad units"

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

An ad unit is a rectangle space which can fit from 1 to 3 text ads or 1 banner.

The example they give you in the help page is about a web page ( placement) with an ad unit that allows only 1 text ad and the advertisers have all equal QS and the one who bids the most wins but pays only 1 cent above the second bid below him.

About "People above said that you can have more than one ad unit on a given web page. Is this true? " Yes it is, the publisher decides how many "rectangles" he places in his web page, how low on the page and how big.

"t. So my question is, if the bid auction takes place for a specific ad unit, and a web page may have more than one ad unit, how is it determined which ad unit on a given page you are in auction for?"

By the ad rank formula described in the first page that you gave. For simplification their example uses the same QS, but the formula is this , each advertiser has a score made from QS x MaxCPC bid . All scores are compared and if the page has only 6 "ad slots" ( maybe from 2 ad units) , the first 6 advertisers are selected to display the Ads. They do not pay their MaxCPC but the MaxCPC below them + 1 cent.

What you need to understand :

1) An advertiser can place 1 ,2 or 3 ad units on their web page. Each can be smaller or bigger, thus 3 smallest ad units can accomodate 3 text ads. 

2) There are ad units that do not fit banner standard sizes, they can only display texts

3) The QS for the Display network  is not communicated to the advertiser . Also there are no indicators for "top of page bid" but you can use a "below the fold" category exclusion to make sure that your ads appear as high as possible on the page.

4) If you bid by CPC and another advertiser bids by CPM, who wins ? The QS in a CPM bid is calculated relative only to the landing page.

5) When they calculate GDN bids they also use the concept of "incremental clicks" as you can see from that help page. Not all clicks are paid in the same way based on ad rank.

6) You may pay an additional service fee for interest category ads on the Display Network

[Later edit]  Bidding in the GDN is a testing job . You never know how much to bid until you receive some impressions and check the relative CTR of your ads on a certain placement. You can also check in Analytics , under the Placements report , the metric "Secondary dimension : Advertising / Ad slot position" this will show you in what precise ad slot position your Ad was when it received a click. For most of the clicks it will be positions 1 or 2.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi xenophone,

"You can use targeting features to determine which page on a site your ad will place on, but not which ad unit."

This is not true; you can target specific Ad units, but it depends upon how the advertiser has set up their AdSense units, and how those targets are named, as targeting is based upon Custom Channels which can apply to more than one Ad Unit or just a single one on a single page.

For example, let's say my site has a page where I have three Ad units.  I can set up an AdSense Custom Channel which is targetable by AdWords and I can do this for all Ad units on the page (so my Custom Channel shows me data for that whole page) or I can set up a Custom Channel for each Ad unit on that page (so each individual Ad unit is targetable).  However, how easy it is to tell which is which will depend upon how these Custom Channels are labelled.  For example, one of my sites using AdSense has an Ad Unit in the middle of a search results page that is individually targeted.  When (if) you can find it in the Display Planner, this Ad Unit is shown as being on example.com (Results page, middle centre).  This description is entirely mine - both "Results page" and "middle centre" are my manually entered descriptions so if instead I'd called this block "My site", "Somewhere", you'd have no idea you were actually targeting a single Ad Unit.

The fact remains that it is possible to target a single Ad Unit, if the AdSense user makes it easy to do so.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi xenophone, welcome to the Community.  An "Ad Unit" is more of an AdSense term than an AdWords one and refers to a specifically sized ad area placed upon third-party websites.  So, for example, I might have an Ad unit on my website that is 300 pixels wide by 250 pixels high.  With most (perhaps all?) Ad Units their size allows them to show more than one simple text Ad within the unit - I believe you can get three text Ads inside the 300x250 Ad unit.

Yes, a single web page can contain more than one Ad Unit.

More about Ad Unit Sizes (AdSense Help)

Jon

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Xenophone.

Once somebody visits a page, and if you're eligible for participating in all auctions (as far as I know AdSense managers can restrict some advertisers from showing up on their pages / units), you will participate in all units which can fit your ads.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Xenophone.

In this case, Google considers the size of a simple text ad to be one unit. If your image ad occupies the same space as 3 text ads, you should bid about 3 times as much as you would for the text ad. The 3-ad-unit image is bidding against three single-unit advertisers.

That AdSense ad unit is a whole different thing. For that, one unit is the ads returned by a single occurrence of the AdSense code on a page.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses folks. Unfortunately I'm still confused about my main question. In all of the official descriptions of the auction system for GDN, they speak in terms of the ad unit. So if you're in a bid auction for a display placement, you're bidding for a specific ad unit. If a webpage has more than one eligible ad unit, how is it determined which ad unit you're in auction for? According to Google, your ad rank will determine where in an ad unit your ad will place (if at all), but it doesn't describe how it is determined which ad unit you're in the running for. No doubt some ad units are much more valuable than others.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi xenophone, now I'm confused Smiley Happy

You say you're "bidding for a specific ad unit" - so I presume you're talking about a unit that has targeting enabled via AdSense.  You then say "how does Google determine which unit to target?".

If you're targeting a specific Ad unit via placement targeting then that's the Ad unit you're targeting.  If you're not targeting a specific Ad unit, but just the whole site, then your Ad will be placed according to rank and the "Relative CTR of Position" which is described on the help page below:

More about Display Network Auctions

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

According to the documentation provided by Google, when you enter a bid auction on GDN, you're bidding for placement within an ad unit. People above said that you can have more than one ad unit on a given web page. Is this true? You can use targeting features to determine which page on a site your ad will place on, but not which ad unit. So my question is, if the bid auction takes place for a specific ad unit, and a web page may have more than one ad unit, how is it determined which ad unit on a given page you are in auction for? If a page can only have one ad unit, then my question is irrelevant. But if a web page can have more than one ad unit, then none of the documentation I've seen from Google explains how ads are placed among multiple possible ad units within a single page.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

An ad unit is a rectangle space which can fit from 1 to 3 text ads or 1 banner.

The example they give you in the help page is about a web page ( placement) with an ad unit that allows only 1 text ad and the advertisers have all equal QS and the one who bids the most wins but pays only 1 cent above the second bid below him.

About "People above said that you can have more than one ad unit on a given web page. Is this true? " Yes it is, the publisher decides how many "rectangles" he places in his web page, how low on the page and how big.

"t. So my question is, if the bid auction takes place for a specific ad unit, and a web page may have more than one ad unit, how is it determined which ad unit on a given page you are in auction for?"

By the ad rank formula described in the first page that you gave. For simplification their example uses the same QS, but the formula is this , each advertiser has a score made from QS x MaxCPC bid . All scores are compared and if the page has only 6 "ad slots" ( maybe from 2 ad units) , the first 6 advertisers are selected to display the Ads. They do not pay their MaxCPC but the MaxCPC below them + 1 cent.

What you need to understand :

1) An advertiser can place 1 ,2 or 3 ad units on their web page. Each can be smaller or bigger, thus 3 smallest ad units can accomodate 3 text ads. 

2) There are ad units that do not fit banner standard sizes, they can only display texts

3) The QS for the Display network  is not communicated to the advertiser . Also there are no indicators for "top of page bid" but you can use a "below the fold" category exclusion to make sure that your ads appear as high as possible on the page.

4) If you bid by CPC and another advertiser bids by CPM, who wins ? The QS in a CPM bid is calculated relative only to the landing page.

5) When they calculate GDN bids they also use the concept of "incremental clicks" as you can see from that help page. Not all clicks are paid in the same way based on ad rank.

6) You may pay an additional service fee for interest category ads on the Display Network

[Later edit]  Bidding in the GDN is a testing job . You never know how much to bid until you receive some impressions and check the relative CTR of your ads on a certain placement. You can also check in Analytics , under the Placements report , the metric "Secondary dimension : Advertising / Ad slot position" this will show you in what precise ad slot position your Ad was when it received a click. For most of the clicks it will be positions 1 or 2.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
HI xenophone,

Yes, a page may have more than one AdSense ad unit. It is possible for your ad to show up twice on the same page. I don't know that you can target a particular ad unit.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi xenophone,

"You can use targeting features to determine which page on a site your ad will place on, but not which ad unit."

This is not true; you can target specific Ad units, but it depends upon how the advertiser has set up their AdSense units, and how those targets are named, as targeting is based upon Custom Channels which can apply to more than one Ad Unit or just a single one on a single page.

For example, let's say my site has a page where I have three Ad units.  I can set up an AdSense Custom Channel which is targetable by AdWords and I can do this for all Ad units on the page (so my Custom Channel shows me data for that whole page) or I can set up a Custom Channel for each Ad unit on that page (so each individual Ad unit is targetable).  However, how easy it is to tell which is which will depend upon how these Custom Channels are labelled.  For example, one of my sites using AdSense has an Ad Unit in the middle of a search results page that is individually targeted.  When (if) you can find it in the Display Planner, this Ad Unit is shown as being on example.com (Results page, middle centre).  This description is entirely mine - both "Results page" and "middle centre" are my manually entered descriptions so if instead I'd called this block "My site", "Somewhere", you'd have no idea you were actually targeting a single Ad Unit.

The fact remains that it is possible to target a single Ad Unit, if the AdSense user makes it easy to do so.

Jon