AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GDN Traffic Evaluation

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I am looking forward to understand how to calculate expected Impressions & Clicks for a fresh Google account for ceratin genres like Entertainment targeted to a country say like India.

Thanks!

~Rehan

~Rehan
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: GDN Traffic Evaluation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rehan,

For Google Display Network, you can use 2 tools to evaluate certain metrics.

1. Placement Tool: It will give you an idea of relevant domains along with impressions per day, which you can expect and what type of ads are supported i.e. text, image, video etc...

2. Contextual Targeting Tool: It will provide you suggestions for theme based ad groups which you can create for GDN and the suggested bid which you can set initially for the ad groups. 

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rehan,

For Google Display Network, you can use 2 tools to evaluate certain metrics.

1. Placement Tool: It will give you an idea of relevant domains along with impressions per day, which you can expect and what type of ads are supported i.e. text, image, video etc...

2. Contextual Targeting Tool: It will provide you suggestions for theme based ad groups which you can create for GDN and the suggested bid which you can set initially for the ad groups. 

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj!

While executing the campaign, one can play around to achieve the desired results in terms of Imp/Clicks/CTR/Avg. CPC etc.

But the real problem is at planning level, when one has to suggest how much budget can be burned in a given period for given  genres & geography. On top of this one has to ascertain the avg CPC. 

So, if you underestimate than you are losing potential business & if overestimate than you are in trouble.

Moreover, the tools you did mention, specially placement tool, doesn't provide indicative CPC's instead just the available impressions that too in a wide range like 10,000 - 100,000 (Impressions Per Day). So the real question is how can one ascertain that out of this number of available impressions, how many impressions he/she can grab at a given CPC. Needless to mention that it's an auction & we dont know how many people will be fighting for this space & what they will be bidding.

Secondly, Contextual Targeting Tool shows only suggested bids (most of the times they are unrealistic in nature as per my experience) but not the available impression range at  those bids.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Rehan

~Rehan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Rehan ; welcome to the community;

Because of the nature of the  Display Network -   using an algorithm of contextual targeting,  it would be unrealistic to estimate the  number of web pages that can be correlated / matched a given keyword. And if it were, that estimation is most likely to be inaccurate. (Unlike the search network - where the number of queries matches a keyword is a known  figure.) 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rehan,

As MosheTLV said, its not easy to estimate traffic, cost or avg. CPC for display network due to the algorithm. 

Apart from competetiors, even your settings would afftect how much exposure you would get in display network.  For eg: If you are using image ads and a daily budget of $500, you would get a avg. position of 1 or 1.1 and spending $500 but if you are going to double your daily budget there is a high probability that you would still spend $1000, because now Google would be able to place you on additional websites.

I would suggest, you decide a budget and also allocate a smaller part of it for experimentation.  In that way you would get some idea on the potential of display network. 

Thanks,

Nimesh.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nimesh,

Thanks for your revert.

Agreed with your suggestion but till the time you have won business you can't go ahead with experiment part.

I do understand that it's actually not possible to accurately estimate traffic on GDN, due to various external factors. 

Since Clients always throws questions like how much budget needs to be allocated in display network for a genre like Cooking & Recipes targeted to PAN India for a month to achieve a decent SOV (Share of Voice) & what will they get out of this allocated budget (Imp/Clicks). So, to answer such questions one must have some sort of methodology & that is what I would like to know. 

Please help community members on this.

Regards,

Rehan

~Rehan

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again Rehan,

Currently, there is no tool which gives an idea of what budget you should start with for Google Display Network like the Traffic Estimator Tool which provide statistics pertaining to Google Search Network.

Both networks are different and work on different algorithms as Moshe said above. 

But you never know if Google comes up with any tool which gives an idea about the budget and other statistics related to GDN in near future Smiley Happy

I would also like to mention about Google Ad Planner here, which share further more granular stats related to Gender, Age, etc... You might consider looking at that too.

Pankaj