AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GDN - Bidding at keyword level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm confused about how bidding at the keyword level affects a contextual campaign. 

Let's say a campaign (set up for "flexible reach") has one ad group with 2 keywords, "jacket" and "shoes". I decide to set different bids for them, and a third CPC for the ad group:

max CPC for "jacket" = 1,00

max CPC for "shoes" = 0,50

max CPC at the adgroup level = 0,80

Since the max CPC for "jacket" is higher, does that mean that my ad is more likely to show in pages that have "jacket" as a theme (more than those that have "shoes" as a theme), because the CPC for jacket is "higher"? 

Now, if I add an specific bid for one of the placements that show up in the "Automatic placements" report, there'll be a fourth CPC to be considered. How does that fit in?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author alfaweb
September 2015

Re: GDN - Bidding at keyword level

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi again alfaweb;

Nope: with the new display network tab  in place,  a Keyword alone does trigger  an ad. Please read again my original answer.

• >>>With the new DN tab, KWs on the GDN do not work any more collectively as a theme;
    Now, on each web page, the system finds that most relevant / leading KW, based on contextual targeting, and allows you to bid on it.
    The result: as with Search, you can now bid individually on specific KW. Your AdRank is calculated based on this bid. (That's what Google called "bringing Search into Display".)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Alfaweb,

In the display network campaigns if you have various bids (placement, kw, adgroup...) the placement bid is stronger than the other two and overrides them.
A keyword bid overrides the adgroup bid.

However: if you set a separate display network adgroup bid that bid will override both placement and keyword bids.

This is important to keep in mind and I think we should transfer all display network adgroup bids to be general adgroup bids and leave the display network bid blank for all adgroups.With this process individual keyword and placement bids actually take effect.

Kindly visit below link for more info:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2580293

Thanks
Anchal

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello alfaweb; welcome;

This is a nice question.

With the new DN tab, KWs on the GDN do not work any more collectively as a theme;

Now, on each web page, the system finds that most relevant / leading KW, based on contextual targeting, and allows you to bid on it.

The result: as with Search, you can now bid individually on specific KW. Your AdRank is calculated based on this bid. (That's what Google called "bringing Search into Display".)

The question that you raised is what happens if add placements the; the placements bid takes over:

In general; this is the order of bids from the highest priority to the lowest:

• Individual placement bid
  • Topic bid
  • Interest category or remarketing bid
  • Display Network bid (applies at the ad group level)
  • Individual keyword bid
  • Ad group default bid

Read more:

How bids are used in the Display Network

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alfaweb,

In addition to Moshe great response:

I would like to add here since now we see keyword level stats,  I would recommend you to have seperate adgroups for "Jackets" & "Shoes" with seperate adgroups/keywords bids.

I personally prefer to have tightly themed adgroup like we have for search. 

Also, If you see any placeement from automatic is performing really well you can "add" those placement as managed placement for that particular adgroup and can give that an individual bid. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for your answers.

It's clearer now, but I'm still wondering what it means when I see statistics (impressions, conversions, clicks, CTR, etc) at the keyword level for a contextual campaign, if keywords alone don't trigger ads in this type of campaign? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author alfaweb
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi again alfaweb;

Nope: with the new display network tab  in place,  a Keyword alone does trigger  an ad. Please read again my original answer.

• >>>With the new DN tab, KWs on the GDN do not work any more collectively as a theme;
    Now, on each web page, the system finds that most relevant / leading KW, based on contextual targeting, and allows you to bid on it.
    The result: as with Search, you can now bid individually on specific KW. Your AdRank is calculated based on this bid. (That's what Google called "bringing Search into Display".)