AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

GCLID Questions (Mutiple GCLIDs? Reporting? Script or API?)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have several questions about the GCLID that I cannot find answers to.

1. It is likely that someone could click on multiple ads within 90 days before converting. Will they have multiple GCLIDs? If not, will the form collect the first or last GCLID that was assigned to them. If so, is anyone out there collecting multiple GCLIDS? 

2. Does a visitor to the website still have the GCLID cookie when they come back to the website within 90 days through a diffrent referral source, such as organic?

3. What happens when you upload offline conversions? what information do you get back? Is there a downloadable report? is the information easy to find or do you have to go dig around for it?

4. Is anyone using AdWords Script or API to upload offline conversions and download the information you get when you do so? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sarah G

1) Yes it is possible that someone makes multiple ad clicks during the research and consideration process. Yes, each click they make will have a unique GCLID. Part of the information contained in a GCLID is a time stamp. By default, Adwords conversion tracking uses last click model. You can change this if you wish. I personally have no reason to collect GCLIDs.

2) Assuming they are using the same browser, yes. In Analytics, you can see this kind of information in multi-channel funnels. In your scenario, if the organic visit resulted in a conversion, the paid click will show as an assisted conversion.

3) I do not know the answer to this.

4) I personally am not.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, David.

1. Do you know how many GCLID cookies can be stored in a browser? When collecting the GCLID, do we need to have room for more than one?

2. I am asking this question because we are concerned that we will be collecting the GCLID of someone who should be counted in our CRM as organic, even thought they clicked on an ad at some point. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah G,

1. Only one gclid value will be stored, either from the first click or the last click depending on the model you choose. The browser gets 2 cookies, one from AdWords and one from Analytics. This is so conversions can be recorded with either the AW conversion code or through Analytics. By default it will be from the last click. Previous clicks should show as assisted.

2. You'll have to figure that out for yourself. When do you want the conversion attributed to AdWords and when you want it attributed to organic? You can read the Analytics cookie (__utmz) to get the gclid. I submitted a link with a gclid value today, the expiration date for the cookie is Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:20:23 GMT. That's a big window.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords