AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Frequent Ad changing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, if I change Ads in my campaign frequently, will it have a negative impact on my quality score/overall campaign performance? Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Frequent Ad changing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sanja,

I do believe it could have either a positive or negative effect. Is your ad more or less relevant? Is it getting a better CTR? Simply changing, adding, testing ads is not detrimental in itself. With each ad edit, a new ad is created and you 'start fresh' in a sense.

The point of changing ads would be to further optimize and improve performance in your account. This is a very common and regular task that I would guess most account managers practice.

Fear not and optimize on! Smiley Happy

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Sanja,
Actually, that depends. Usually no. Changing and testing ads is usually a good idea to IMPROVE your quality score.

Quality score is a complicated subject but it can be made simple if you focus on the largest chunk of how it's determined. CTR.

Changing your ads frequently CAN cause your QS to dip, but only if the CTR dips. You should ALWAYS be running multiple ads per ad group and improving CONSTANTLY your CTR as this will ultimately improve your QS.

Now, changing ads frequently to as that lower your CTR will certainly lower your QS.

If you're changing your ads for seasonal reasons for example, this is a great way to improve CTR and again, ultimately your QS.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

This is a nice question.

I, personally , don't like frequent changes in any parameter / metric of a campaign. My "feeling " is that  frequent changes shift the system  out of its "comfort zone"/ "steady state". Thus, I like to implement changes gradually: Make a first round off changes,  let the system run for a while, until reaching a  new "steady state", and only then, implement further changes

(Though I have never received any confirmation for this theory)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
My approach is similar to what Moshe outlines... I always run multiple ads for each ad group - I try to use different calls to action and keep other elements constant to a degree. I will let ads run for a while and then look to see which has the worst CTR - this one gets edited! I look to see what is different about the better performers and try to write a new ad to beat the current best performer.

And - I always set my ads to rotate indefinitely - otherwise the data collected is next to useless...

The option of allowing Google to run the ad most likely to lead to a click or a conversion too often leads to one ad getting all the traffic after just a handful of clicks - and the option to rotate for 90 days and then optimize - well, frankly, I would like someone to come around here and punch me in the face (hard) if I ever leave a series of ads running untouched for 90 days....