AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Focused Local Ad Problem, need help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lost and confused! How come other people can do this and we can't ! Read on...

We created a ppc campaign to compete with local web development agencies. We have created locally focused ads, keywords and a focused landing pages with keywords so the campaign is end to end and consistent. The format is pretty much:

TownName Web Development

Expert Help & Advice....

Keywords are:

TownName Web Development on broad match,

Web Developers TownName on broad match

Adwords is saying "Low search volume"......."This keyword has generated very little search traffic on Google properties, so it’s not currently eligible to trigger your ads."

But competitors are creating ads for:

TownName Web Developers

I'm searching for TownName web developers and their ad is appearing not ours. Why?!?

I can also search for NearestOtherTown Web Developers and one competitor has a focused ad "NearestOtherTown Web Developers". So they are able to create focused ads.....why can't we???

One other point is this. 3 of our competitors have display urls showing in their ad like:

ad text here.....

theredomainname.com/development

in 2 cases these were 404-ing. Our display URL is a portfolio of our work. So what gives here? Surely our Quality score should out rank theres?

Help with all of the above very appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MatthewP
September 2015

Re: Focused Local Ad Problem, need help!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Matthew

With regards to the accuracy it depends where you're targeting. If US it is pretty accurate, if UK it isn't great but does a job.

If you've set up the geo targeting and your adgroups correctly then you shouldn't need to use dynamic keywords insertion - as they will be very targeted.

QS is supposed to be based on the display URL however I know from personal experience that i've used sub domains that do not exist yet have had a really strong QS - so it's a bit of a grey area.

Cheers

Kane

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Matthew

One thing to consider with regards to your competitors ads is that they could be target the head terms rather than town specific terms. They may have keywords web development with dynamic keyword insertion in the ads that pulling your search term (and town name) into the ads.

I would recommend a couple of approaches - one moving your keywords onto exact match rather than broad. This should help keep your ads super targeted. I'd also recommend looking at your geo settings and targeting the towns this way with generic exact match terms.

You can then amend your ads to include the town name as you'll know where they're coming from as you're targeting their town.

With regards to the display URL most customised URLs won't actually work. A lot of people use display URLs as a targeted extension of the ads. The fact the display URLs result in a 404 page won't effect it.

You could use townname.yoursite.com as your display URL and it wouldn't matter than you don't have a sub domain like this. Same with yousite.com/townname.

It can be a good way to make your ad stand out and link closer to the search terms.

Hope that all makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Kane

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kane, thanks that was very useful. I'll read up on dynamic keyword insertion.

I'm also moving the targeting to exact. But i still have the low search volume problem as the ads a very focused on the locale.

I had done the geo-loc settings, but for a much broader area.

I'm thinking that perhaps I took the wrong original approach. Perhaps I should have a broad match "web development" and use geo-loc to make it local. Are the geo-location settings reliable though? As ISP's can be in other location and can fool some geo-loc apps.

On the display URL's I though google was all about quality and relevance, in search and ppc. So erroring display URL's should impact quality score really.

If you think my revised locale ppc approach sounds right/wrong pls input....many thanks. I'll look into rolling this in the dynamic keywords to get desired result.

Thx

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MatthewP
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Matthew

With regards to the accuracy it depends where you're targeting. If US it is pretty accurate, if UK it isn't great but does a job.

If you've set up the geo targeting and your adgroups correctly then you shouldn't need to use dynamic keywords insertion - as they will be very targeted.

QS is supposed to be based on the display URL however I know from personal experience that i've used sub domains that do not exist yet have had a really strong QS - so it's a bit of a grey area.

Cheers

Kane

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, that seems nice and clear. Thanks for your time.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi MatthewP,

I just want to add here that the display URL is not required to be a reachable page. The landing page (destination URL) can affect your QS. The display URL can also affect your QS--by getting more clicks. I usually prefer that the display URL be a reachable page, in fact I usually create linked pages for the display URL to go to the actual landing page just in case someone (like you or me) types in the display URL.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Peter, we have done the same with display url going to a real page. Having a url that doesn't seems completely barking, as it is a 'url'!

Can't help thinking that it's a bit of a waste of space actually!

On the local ad's they are now working with geo-loc rules at campaign level. Thanks all for your help.