AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Flexible Bid Strategies

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello everyone,

I would like to hear some ideas and experiences about implementing flexible bid strategies at ad group level.

As per my requirement, I need to have different bid strategies to my ad groups for more control on ad cost and returns.

For example, I have a campaign targeted to TEXAS state, US and I have an ad group in this campaign contains "ABC" keywords. These keywords works well in Austin city but not in Dallas. SO i need to set this ad group bid like 20% increased bid in Austin and 20% decreased bid in Dallas. Is it possible with this flexible bid strategy feature? If yes, then what option should I opt to do this?

I see the below info in this link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=enUsing flexible bid strategies   AdWords Help.png

I believe this can help me to target different bids in 2 areas from a single ad group. Please help me how can I implement effectively to fulfill my requirement.

Thanks,

Karim SK.

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karimulla S
September 2015

Re: Flexible Bid Strategies

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

ROAS would be your best option as your first concern is ROI, AdWords will automatically adjust your bids to try to maximize your conversion value, while reaching this target ROAS. To help improve your performance in ad auctions, this strategy adjusts bids using real-time details like device, browser, location, and time of day.

Keep in mind this strategy uses its own bid adjustments to reach your target ROAS, superseding any bid adjustments you’ve set (except where you’ve set a mobile bid adjustment of -100%.) So any existing bid adjustments will not be used.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
You're welcome, Karim!

Settings different bids for two locations isn't possible here, as it is a single ad group. Those lines In your screenshot refer to the algorithm behind ROAS strategy. As in, the system considers different factors like device, browser, location, and time of day to bid accordingly. That being said, you wouldn't be able to change the way it bids for different locations.

I'd go with ROAS as the system knows how my keywords are performing in each location and would bid accordingly. Though the control is with AdWords system, one good thing is that you don't have to manage bids manually. AdWords system will bid automatically, based on past conversions.

@Ahmed: Do let me know if there's a different version of this Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Hi Karimulla,

As noted by others, if you want to raise or lower your bid based on location, then you need to do this on the campaign level. (Campaign -> Settings -> Locations)

The red underlined text in your screenshot applies to many of the flexible bid strategies. With a flexible bid strategy, AdWords will bid for you based on context and strategy you chose but you cannot intervene, it's fully automatic apart from the potential targets you set.

The flexible bid strategies will adjust your bids based on several parameters, including location but it will do so based on its experience (your account's history) with that location, not based on a location you defined, So it's possible that a flexible bid strategy would be bidding higher in Austin based on historic results, but you would have no way of knowing. If you want to be able to manually bid higher in Austin, you need to go with location based bid adjustments in the campaign settings.

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Karim,

Location bid adjustments can't be done at the ad group level, as location targeting is at the campaign level. If Dallas and Austin were separate locations (unlike TX as a state) you're targeting, you could have set +or - 20% at the campaign level. You'll have to select a common bid strategy for both the locations as keywords belong to the a single ad group. What bid strategy are you currently using for the ad group in question?

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

ROAS would be your best option as your first concern is ROI, AdWords will automatically adjust your bids to try to maximize your conversion value, while reaching this target ROAS. To help improve your performance in ad auctions, this strategy adjusts bids using real-time details like device, browser, location, and time of day.

Keep in mind this strategy uses its own bid adjustments to reach your target ROAS, superseding any bid adjustments you’ve set (except where you’ve set a mobile bid adjustment of -100%.) So any existing bid adjustments will not be used.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Sumanth,

Thanks for your turnaround.

Currently I have opted for manual bid strategy for this ad group. Lets say this ad group bid is $5.00 now. This need to be set to $6.00 (+20% increase) in Austin and $4.00 (-20% decrease) in Dallas thru flexible bid strategy. Is this possible?

Also, as I highlighted in above screenshot,

"To help improve your performance in ad auctions, some strategies adjust bids using real-time details like device, browser, location, and time of day."

As Ali said, this will work with ROAS strategy? If yes, it might be in Google's control to optimize bids in different locations accordingly. But not in % as we desired.

Thanks,
Karim SK.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ali,

Thanks for your reply. Please read my above comments and share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Karim SK.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
You're welcome, Karim!

Settings different bids for two locations isn't possible here, as it is a single ad group. Those lines In your screenshot refer to the algorithm behind ROAS strategy. As in, the system considers different factors like device, browser, location, and time of day to bid accordingly. That being said, you wouldn't be able to change the way it bids for different locations.

I'd go with ROAS as the system knows how my keywords are performing in each location and would bid accordingly. Though the control is with AdWords system, one good thing is that you don't have to manage bids manually. AdWords system will bid automatically, based on past conversions.

@Ahmed: Do let me know if there's a different version of this Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Hi Karimulla,

As noted by others, if you want to raise or lower your bid based on location, then you need to do this on the campaign level. (Campaign -> Settings -> Locations)

The red underlined text in your screenshot applies to many of the flexible bid strategies. With a flexible bid strategy, AdWords will bid for you based on context and strategy you chose but you cannot intervene, it's fully automatic apart from the potential targets you set.

The flexible bid strategies will adjust your bids based on several parameters, including location but it will do so based on its experience (your account's history) with that location, not based on a location you defined, So it's possible that a flexible bid strategy would be bidding higher in Austin based on historic results, but you would have no way of knowing. If you want to be able to manually bid higher in Austin, you need to go with location based bid adjustments in the campaign settings.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Sumanth, Ken & Ali,

Thanks for your great detailed explanation on Flexible Bid Strategies. The above information is really worthful for me to move forward with these strategies.

Thank you once again for all of you.

Thanks,
Karim SK.