AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Finding Current Keyword Positions

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I manage a ton of Adwords accounts and the thing people seem to care most about is having their ad on the first page of Google (rightfully so since they probably wouldn't get too many clicks any other way).  The avg position column is nice but it definitely does not accurately reflect the ad's current position on Google.

I know for SEO, there are tons of rank checkers out there.  You can import a list of keywords and it will spit it back to you pretty fast and let you know where your website ranks for each one at that moment.  What I'm trying to figure out is if there is something like this for Adwords.  I called Google and they said they don't have a way to tell me my current position on Google (other than me manually checking on Google or through the Ad Preview Tool).  I can't be the only person that wants this tool...I'm hoping maybe one exists somewhere?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Finding Current Keyword Positions

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, Joy.

Just as it happens with organic results, the ads you see are personalized as well. An ad's position is one for somebody who searched for something else before, and another for someone who performs the first search. Also, it's one position for one search query (where that ad is shown), and another for another search query. It's one during peak times of the day, when 10 more advertisers have scheduled their ad, and another during evenings. One when you have enough budget, another when the budget is almost depleted.

You do get a glimpse of the current position when using the Ad Preview Tool, but there's no way to batch that for all the keywords in the inventory.

What you can see though is a variation of the position in time (let's say the last 30 days). And if the position oscillates between 1.5 and 2, for instance, then the current one is probably in that range as well. Of course, 2 can be an average of 1 for about 85 percent of the time and 9 for 15 percent of the time, but usually position does not vary so wildly, especially after a longer period of time.

I know it may not be exactly what you want, but it can come somewhat close. A keyword report + day as a segment and Excel + pivot charts + filters can do the trick (or part of it).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello JoyHawkins;

Quote:

"The avg position column is nice but it definitely does not accurately reflect the ad's current position on Google"

• Why are you saying that this is only "nice to have"?

I  disagree with your statement  that "the thing people seem to care most about is having their ad on the first page of Google".

• In my view advertisers' goal is to be ranked as  high as possible (or at least "above the fold", - where users start to scroll down to view the lower part of the page) 
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi JoyHawkins,

Your ad position can change for every query. When the environment surrounding your ad changes, the position of your ad also changes. In my own opinion, average position is more useful than current position since the current position can change at any time.

It's realy not like SEO page rank at all, which is failty static. AdRank is very dynamic.

Just my opinion, though.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi JoyHawkins, 

Thanks for the question! 

Unfortunately there isn't a Google tool to tell you your current ad position as some of the guys in the Community have pointed out. I also don't know of any external tool that would perform the same function either I'm afraid. 

The dynamic nature of the ad auction makes this a very very tricky task to perform as Pete mentioned. So even if there was an external tool available for this, I would be careful to check it was giving you accurate data.

A. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Moshe - I said it was nice because it is helpful but doesn't give me the data that I want (the current position).  The reason why I want the current position vs. the average position is to tell if the keyword needs a bid increase (for example).  The avg position might be 2 and the keyword could possibly not be showing at the moment (but was a week ago) so I was trying to see if there was a way to get more real-time data.  The business owners I talk to seem very concerned about ad position so I am simply trying to find a way to make sure they are happy with the Adwords experience.  You might disagree but it's just what I've found in my experience.

@Pete + Alys.  Good points.  I guess I will just keep hoping maybe one day there is some way of doing this other than searching on Google to see an ad's current position.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, Joy.

Just as it happens with organic results, the ads you see are personalized as well. An ad's position is one for somebody who searched for something else before, and another for someone who performs the first search. Also, it's one position for one search query (where that ad is shown), and another for another search query. It's one during peak times of the day, when 10 more advertisers have scheduled their ad, and another during evenings. One when you have enough budget, another when the budget is almost depleted.

You do get a glimpse of the current position when using the Ad Preview Tool, but there's no way to batch that for all the keywords in the inventory.

What you can see though is a variation of the position in time (let's say the last 30 days). And if the position oscillates between 1.5 and 2, for instance, then the current one is probably in that range as well. Of course, 2 can be an average of 1 for about 85 percent of the time and 9 for 15 percent of the time, but usually position does not vary so wildly, especially after a longer period of time.

I know it may not be exactly what you want, but it can come somewhat close. A keyword report + day as a segment and Excel + pivot charts + filters can do the trick (or part of it).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.