AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Find AdGroups with no targeting in Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Does anybody know of a quick way to identify AdGroups with no acitive targeting? I have an account that has a number of AdGroups with no active targetting and I cannot find a way to easily identify these in an excel sheet or in Editor. The only way I can find to edit them is to click on the alert in the AdWords online interface, this then gives me the top 50 and no way to export them.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DJMew
September 2015

Re: Find AdGroups with no targeting in Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just a quick update to this, a bit of thinking led me to a clumsy but effective workaround:

1. Open the account in Editor;
  2. Select all adgroups and append some unique text to the end of each adgroup name;
  3. Remove the text from the name using the replace text tool so as no actual changes to the AdGroup names are posted;
  4. This effectivly tells Editor that changes have been made to adgroups and flags up errors for the adgroups with no targetting/ads/placements, thus making it easy to identify and fix the problems.

Hope this helps someone!

Dan.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi DJMew, and welcome to the forum.  Y'know, I have the exact same problem.  I have a new client who has around 500+ Ad Groups with no Keywords (of 18,000 - so pretty hard to find) and I'm in the same position.

I would say - unless someone else has an answer - that the only option would be a Script.  If no one's provided another answer by tomorrow am UK time I'll write a script to produce a list.  I'll try and format the list so it works as an importable csv to the Editor.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon,

That is exactly the same situation as I'm in (figures and all!), I'd be very interested to know what solution you come up with.

Dan.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You're not my client are you Dan?  Smiley Happy

Give me until tomorrow lunchtime or so and I should have a script up and working that does this.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was thinking the same thing about you Jon!

Did you have any luck finding a solution?

Dan.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Not yet Dan, I really am a terrible slacker Smiley Happy  Truth is I'm up to my eyeballs (well, quite a long way above them actually) in work at the moment and haven't got as much time as I'd like for "fun" like this.  I will try to do something today/tonight though.

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DJMew
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just a quick update to this, a bit of thinking led me to a clumsy but effective workaround:

1. Open the account in Editor;
  2. Select all adgroups and append some unique text to the end of each adgroup name;
  3. Remove the text from the name using the replace text tool so as no actual changes to the AdGroup names are posted;
  4. This effectivly tells Editor that changes have been made to adgroups and flags up errors for the adgroups with no targetting/ads/placements, thus making it easy to identify and fix the problems.

Hope this helps someone!

Dan.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can not get the above to work

- After adding text, run check changes, removed text, re-running check changes...  Nothing get s flagged.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it was solved in 2013.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.