AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Final URL & Final Mobile URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's my situation: Client has a website that has a dedicated mobile domain. For example (not using real website)... jimbobcardealer.com automatically redirects to jimbobcardealer.mobi for users who clicked an ad with their smartphone.

Can I use a combination of the Final URL and the Final Mobile URL to prevent ad disapprovals? In other words, can I get past the "Inaccurate Display URL" disapproval if I set up my ad like this:

-Display URL: JimBobCarDealer.com

-Final URL: jimbobcardealer.com

-Final Mobile URL: jimbobcardealer.mobi

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Suzanne B
September 2015

Re: Final URL & Final Mobile URL

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Suzanne,

We have a lot of clients that are still operating on two separate URLs for main and mobile. To combat the issue, for those clients, we normally break out the ads into two separate ad groups and then adjust the device bid accordingly

Main site , -100% mobile bid adjustment
Mobile site - very low bids with +300% mobile bid adjustment, then we set the ads in the mobile ad group to mobile preferred.

It takes a little more time up front but very easy to do these bulk edits in AdWords Editor.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Suzanne B;

The rule is simple: the display URL must mach the destination URL after all redirects.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your response, @MosheTLV! I was afraid that that would be the answer. I got excited with the Upgraded URL features, and this Final Mobile URL really stood out as something potentially useful for a case like this one. Guess not.

That being the case, what are advertisers doing nowadays to address mobile redirects? Is it still common practice to create separate campaigns for the two domains and use mobile bid adjustments?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Suzanne B;

This is a nice question;

You basically have 2 options:  to go with the now gaining popularity responsive web design, or a separate  HTML5 mobile site. Both solutions have pros and cons. You'll find many articles about the topic on the web

I personally prefer the responsive web design, since it requires to maintain only one version of your site.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I, too, prefer responsive websites over separate mobile sites, @MosheTLV. Unfortunately, I'm only providing PPC services for a client in this particular scenario, which completely restricts what I'm able to do with the website... thus the challenge of finding some way to address ad approvals when being forced to work with redirects.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Suzanne B
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Suzanne,

We have a lot of clients that are still operating on two separate URLs for main and mobile. To combat the issue, for those clients, we normally break out the ads into two separate ad groups and then adjust the device bid accordingly

Main site , -100% mobile bid adjustment
Mobile site - very low bids with +300% mobile bid adjustment, then we set the ads in the mobile ad group to mobile preferred.

It takes a little more time up front but very easy to do these bulk edits in AdWords Editor.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response, @Michele B! This is definitely the strategy that we use when responsive is not an option. While not what I wanted to hear, it's definitely good to have this affirmed as still being the standard practice in these situations.