AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Extremely Frustrating: Google Search Captcha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I work at an agency and every single day about 2 hours into work we start to get a Captcha for every single Google search we do. Sometimes you can type the captcha in and they you get your search results, but usually no matter how many times you enter teh correct captcha it just repeats showing the captcha. There are a few "work arounds" incognito window sometimes works. However eventually that stops to work, even on the first search. Then, normal searches are done by Bing, and research has to be done in the Preview tool

This is driving me a bit nuts. I would use the ad preview tool, but it is not convinient, nor does it give reliable representations of search queries. I have been dealing with this for months. Yes, we can get proxies, VPN, or more IP addresses. All of those things are expensive solutions to a fundemental problem with Google's fraud prevention system.

Also, when the captcha really gets going the ad preview stops to work as well.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Extremely Frustrating: Google Search Captcha

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

ad preview fail.jpg

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hmm... Interesting. I have never run into this. My "feeling" is that you are running too many searches, above a certain limit, and the system is "attempting" to verify that those are run by a human.
If you are indeed use the tool extensively - I would recommend switching to the API.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe,

We are running too many searches. That without a doubt the case. We are getting flagged for "abnormal use" despite not really using any tools outside of doing what a real person does for searching and looking at organic/adwords links.

Is there some sort of API to see ad previews?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

On a second thought, this is a good question whether you could run queries on the API that would simulate the " ad preview tool"

The best would be to ask our colleagues on the Adwords API forum:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/community/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Although running an API is not exactly the kind of solution I was looking for. Considering the amount of work it would probably take.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Another option - though I don't know if feasible - is to call customer service and ask to "white list" your account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
OK I will work with our Agency Reps, I was hoping there might be someone in the community that has had to address this issue.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Ok; this is an interesting case. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

We are getting flagged for "abnormal use" despite not really using any tools outside of doing what a real person does for searching and looking at organic/adwords links.

To be honest, I would question this. I think of myself as a 'real' person and no matter how many searches I've done in a single market in an hour (or a day), I've never triggered a captcha request.

I would strongly recommend that you use the Ad Preview tool. 

I would point out that by running searches in the 'live' environment you are not only having a negative effect on your own ads (when/if they are triggered), but on the ads for your entire industry. The more often your keywords are searched without producing clicks on your ads, the lower the system perceives the quality of your ads to be. 

In addition, if you continually search your own keywords and never click ads, the search engine takes notice of that and it will eventually stop showing you those ads--either in favor of showing you different ads or showing you no ads at all. So you're deliberately skewing what you see on the SERPs and your results probably look nothing like what someone else might be seeing when they search.

The Ad Preview tool may not feel "convenient" at first, but you will soon become accustomed to it and it really takes no longer than running any other kind of search. It has the advantage of not having an impact on your campaign or its performance.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*