AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Exclusion Lists for Remarketing - Do you need 100 on it?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Quick question - I'm interested in running a remarketing campaign for a business and we've a few forms on the site which are all tracked for conversions. I've created a tag based list which is adding these users in the Shared Library, however there's no way I'm going to get 100 of these forms filled in a month. But I want to exclude these users from remarketing and I understand that you need 100 visitors within 30 days for a list to be active. Therefore will excluding this list in a Remarketing campaign have no effect? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Spike-Patching (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Exclusion Lists for Remarketing - Do you need 100 on it?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Phil,

That does indeed make the problem a little more tricky, however it is still possible.

There are two ways of doing this :

First way is, as you are suggesting above, create two audiences; one for all users and one for converted users. You can then add the converted users to be excluded using custom combinations. I haven't seen any mention of minimum list sizes for excluding users, only minimums for displaying adverts to users. See this article on custom combinations: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en-GB

The second way, and in my opinion the best way, is to create your remarketing list via. Google Analytics using segments. You can specify literally 1,000s of different combinations for the criteria and this is undoubtably the best way of setting up advanced remarketing lists. Please see this article on using segments to create remarketing lists: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en-GB

Here is a screenshot of the settings page in Analytics for creating remarketing lists using segments - Go to Administration > Remarketing Lists > New Remarketing List Smiley Embarassed "Create my own remarketing type using Segments":

new-remarketing-list-beta.png

*Fingers crossed* this is the solution to your problem Smiley Happy

All the best,

Spike

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Phil,

You do not need to create an 'exclusion list' to exclude all people that made form submissions.

The correct way to define this would be to add a rule into your main remarketing list as "URL does not contain: thank-you" or whatever your success page is for the form submissions.

That way you will build a list of all users except those that made a form submission.

I hope that answers your question, please reply if you are still unsure and I will post you screenshots and instructions.

All the best,

Spike

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Spike, cheers for your reply. Unfortunately our submit forms don't actually go to a different URL... so that may be a problem.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Spike-Patching (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Phil,

That does indeed make the problem a little more tricky, however it is still possible.

There are two ways of doing this :

First way is, as you are suggesting above, create two audiences; one for all users and one for converted users. You can then add the converted users to be excluded using custom combinations. I haven't seen any mention of minimum list sizes for excluding users, only minimums for displaying adverts to users. See this article on custom combinations: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en-GB

The second way, and in my opinion the best way, is to create your remarketing list via. Google Analytics using segments. You can specify literally 1,000s of different combinations for the criteria and this is undoubtably the best way of setting up advanced remarketing lists. Please see this article on using segments to create remarketing lists: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611820?hl=en-GB

Here is a screenshot of the settings page in Analytics for creating remarketing lists using segments - Go to Administration > Remarketing Lists > New Remarketing List Smiley Embarassed "Create my own remarketing type using Segments":

new-remarketing-list-beta.png

*Fingers crossed* this is the solution to your problem Smiley Happy

All the best,

Spike

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Cheers Spike! I have had a playaround with Segments before, they definitely looked interesting if confusing. Problem was I saw no way we could add the submit forms as a 'goal' due to the fact that they had no URL. I think Google Tag Manager solves this problem and would enable us to then use these forms within Analytics for remarketing and therefore create a load more combinations while easily excluding converters. For now, I think I'll use your first solution, and look to bring in Tag Manager at some point in the future... thanks a lot!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Phil,

You are very welcome, I'm glad that I could be of help.

If you want to set up the events as goals i'll run through it quickly -

To set the form submission as a goal you need to add "event tracking" to the submit button of your form. This is done by adding a small piece of code into the 'onclick' attribute of the button, it will look something like this afterwards: <a href="#" onClick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Form', 'Contact', 'New Enquiry']);">Submit</a>

This article will explain how to set up event tracking & how to add the code to your website:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/eventTrackerGuide#SettingUpEventTr...

This article will explain exactly how to set the new event as a goal completion: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415

I wish you the best of luck in all your ventures Phil and thank you very much for the stars Smiley Happy

All the best,
Spike

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That's brilliant! Will definitely be using that, thanks! I don't suppose you know a way of excluding call converters as well do you for remarketing? Analytics doesn't seem to like 3rd party call tracking very much and won't add call converters (which we have as a goal in Analytics) to a list properly.  Cat Mad

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If your call conversions are coming through correctly as goals in Analytics then you should just be able to use the segments to exclude those users as well.

If you've been having issues with your call tracking data I can recommend http://www.calltracks.com/ as a reliable company to use.

All the best