AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding Iran from Location Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Under the Dimensions > User Location panel I am seeing a large number of clicks from users located in Iran. I would like to exclude Iran users from seeing my ads. Unfortunately, the Location Search in the Campaign Settings does not find "Iran" (or even "Tehran"), so there is no way to exclude that location from having my ads shown. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Shannon S,

Unfortunately, AdWords isn't available to advertisers in Iran.

For your reference: AdWords and AdWords Express country restrictions

Another option to exclude this region is 'Change your campaign Location options advanced settings' as:

Target: People in my targeted location

It will restrict the ads to trigger only to the people in your targeted locations.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

>>>Target: People in my targeted location

That is ALREADY SET in my Campaign settings (targeting all countries). 

Since you cannot specify Iran for Include OR exclude, there is no way to exclude them. 

Re: Excluding Iran from Location Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same query and would like to have an answer.

Our campaigns have an exlusion for many countries and this is working fine but we can't exclude Iran even it seems, looking at Analytics, there are a lot for CPC traffic coming from Iran:

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 13.51.22.png

We are paying for these but they are not our target audience so we would like for our ads not to be displayed in Iran.

Thank you in advance  for anyone with suggestions.

Raphael

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any feedback on this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

With your location settings above, you are targeting "all countries" - Change this to the countries that you really do want to target.  This will fix your issue.  It's likely that your budget wouldn't cover all countries anyway, so I would pick maybe your top 5-10 to start and then expand.

Re: Excluding Iran from Location Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry Shanee but I think you are missing the point.

This shot was from Analytics, here is a new one from AdWords, for the last 30 days for all campaigns, $1390 for click in Iran. This has been going on for a while...

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 13.43.25.png

We would like to exclude Iran, but it is not in the list of country because of US Sanctions... and it is not practical for us to include countries we want to target because it is all expect 10 or so.

Raphael

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I'm not missing the point.  I do understand.  But, ideally you should have these in separate campaigns.  The US should be in it's own campaign, EMEA, APAC etc.  You would then be able to have more control over your campaigns and set budgets, day parting etc.

The way you are "clumping" all territories into one campaign does not align with best practices.  Setting up the countries carefully and strategically would eliminate your problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a shortsighted and uninformed reply. There are many reasons to launch campaigns, products, and services with ALL countries targeted and having only a few explicitly excluded. 

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

@Shannon S,

You can target all countries as this option is available.

But do you thing this will provide you positive ROI.

Not all the countries have English as their official language in which your ads have been created.

All countries have different time zones, so usually the country where your ads will trigger earliest peak hours will consume most of the budget during the peak hours.

In such scenario, you can't analyze which country has performed well to further optimize the campaign.

Even, one can use 100 keywords in a single ad group but to get best results one need to segregate the ad groups based on common theme.

As per screenshot, it seems there is lot of traffic from Iran but have you analysed it in terms of cost per conversion and returns.

Might be the location with lesser clicks providing you best returns on Investment, focus more on such location to increase the traffic.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’