AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Exceeding title character limit

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I was just search up new cars and I noticed that some of the adwords adverts are obviously exceeding character limits by a lot. I was wondering how are they doing this, does anyone have an idea?

Here is the screen shot:

Cheers,

YY

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Exceeding title character limit

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Since you had shown a screenshot of ads displayed on top of the first page, please check this out as well:

Here is a sample of ads displayed on the right hand side.

1. AdWords PPC
    adwords.google.com/
    Get Measurable Results With AdWords
    Place Your Ad On Google Today!

If you are going to notice, if you are on the "precious spots", the top three positions on top, your ads became a three liner ads. This is exclusive only on these golden ranks (1-3).

If you are on the right hand side, its definitely four liner ads.

More Power,

Loraine

More Power,
Loraine

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
These ads are not exceeding character limits. Google is adding the domain name to the title line. The title line is already longer because there is punctuation added to the second line of ad copy which is allowing it to be pulled to the title line/

Example for ad copy # 3 above...

title: Nissan Utes NS
Line #2 Shift The Way You Move (pulled to title in top positions because of period at the end of line #2
Line #3: Download a Brochure Online!
Google add on | Nissan.co.nz

When you see the - it usually indicates line 2 has been pulled up. When you see the | it usually indicates Google has added the domain.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi,

-- Just to Add --

Google Says: 

"When shown in the headline, the display URL will be separated from the rest of the text by a vertical bar and will include only the domain, not the “www.” prefix or any subdirectories. Your display URL will also continue to appear as normal below the description line. Of course, if theheadline already contains your domain, we won’t display it again. Finally, it’s possible for the display URL domain to appear in addition to a description line that is promoted to the headline, as long as the resulting headline is sixty-eight characters or less."

Read More "Showing the display URL domain in the headline for select ads on Google"

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi YY,

Welcome to the community!

Your screenshot is on your local computer, we're not going to be able to access it.

I think what you are seeing are ads in the top position with varying formats.  This is typical of top position ads and nothing to be concerned with.

You can read more here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722087

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Since you had shown a screenshot of ads displayed on top of the first page, please check this out as well:

Here is a sample of ads displayed on the right hand side.

1. AdWords PPC
    adwords.google.com/
    Get Measurable Results With AdWords
    Place Your Ad On Google Today!

If you are going to notice, if you are on the "precious spots", the top three positions on top, your ads became a three liner ads. This is exclusive only on these golden ranks (1-3).

If you are on the right hand side, its definitely four liner ads.

More Power,

Loraine

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
These ads are not exceeding character limits. Google is adding the domain name to the title line. The title line is already longer because there is punctuation added to the second line of ad copy which is allowing it to be pulled to the title line/

Example for ad copy # 3 above...

title: Nissan Utes NS
Line #2 Shift The Way You Move (pulled to title in top positions because of period at the end of line #2
Line #3: Download a Brochure Online!
Google add on | Nissan.co.nz

When you see the - it usually indicates line 2 has been pulled up. When you see the | it usually indicates Google has added the domain.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for clearing things up for me.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You are welcomeRobot Very Happy

Nothing to worry, because there is a character limit graph (the one that looks like a battery) on create ads portion where it wont allow you to type any more character if its already beyond the limit!

More Power,

Loraine

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi,

-- Just to Add --

Google Says: 

"When shown in the headline, the display URL will be separated from the rest of the text by a vertical bar and will include only the domain, not the “www.” prefix or any subdirectories. Your display URL will also continue to appear as normal below the description line. Of course, if theheadline already contains your domain, we won’t display it again. Finally, it’s possible for the display URL domain to appear in addition to a description line that is promoted to the headline, as long as the resulting headline is sixty-eight characters or less."

Read More "Showing the display URL domain in the headline for select ads on Google"

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have another that I'm stumped on. The domain name is not what's making this one exceed. Look at the top listing for domain crutchfield.com. The headline is 56 characters, but that's not the issue, because it could pull desc 1 into the headline when in top position, although there is no period at the end. Line 2 has 58 characters. That's a total of 114 characters, exceeding the 95 allowed between three lines of text (25,35,35). Here is the screenshot below. Perhaps someone can clear this up? So far I haven't found a clear answer, except an article quoting a statement from Google, in short saying sometimes ads will exceed character limits because of dynamic keyword insertion and if there is enough "space" on the page. I've not been able to figure out how this may have happened, and such an error doesn't sound like Google. If they are able to set character limits, why would they not be able to stop the "rare occurences"?

charlimit0613.png

Exceeding title character limit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

pls check this ad - http://i.is.cc/2pfs83cS.jpg

1) how contact number was added in the front of website address?

2) pls also check the length of the ad