AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Exact match positives vs broad negative

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a concern pertaining to usage of exact match positives against broad match negative. Suppose I'm targeting a positive keyword [Implant Dentist in Las vegas] and I have added 'Implant' as a negative broad to block unwanted traffic from Implant & its variations. Will this terms conflict with each other? If yes, then what's the solution to prevent this.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Regards,

Rahil

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rahil
September 2015

Re: Exact match positives vs broad negative

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rahil,

When you have exact match positive keywords, you do not need to add broad negatives. You will see Negative Keyword conflict if you do so.

Exact match only triggers Ad when exactly matched term or its close variants searches by user. So unwanted traffic will not trigger by this keyword anyways.

More to Understand Match Types here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rahil
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rahil,

When you have exact match positive keywords, you do not need to add broad negatives. You will see Negative Keyword conflict if you do so.

Exact match only triggers Ad when exactly matched term or its close variants searches by user. So unwanted traffic will not trigger by this keyword anyways.

More to Understand Match Types here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Rahil,

Yes this would conflict with the exact match keyword, as the word implant as a broad negative would block all searches with the word implant. I'd suggest taking a look at the search terms to see what kind of variations are irrelevant and negating the irrelevant word, instead of negating the word implant.

For instance:

Search Term: Implant Training

Negative: Training

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Neha. Appreciate your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭