AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Match vs. Broad Match Volume

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I received an email from Google today about the search term report (STR) and being able to increase impression volume by adding keywords that are not currently in our list. I do this on a regular basis, but it got me to thinking.

We use all 3 match types with all broad match being modified broad match (unless we are experimenting). Obviously this will bring up keywords we do not have in the list. I am wondering if BM would receive just as many impressions for a specific query versus the exact match of the same query?

There are other reasons to pull terms from the STR and make it an exact match, but I am solely looking at volume. Going on the assumption I have an unlimited budget and no QS issues, am I missing out on volume for a query if I only show for that query based on my modified broad match version versus having the exact match in my list?

I ask this because, first I don't want to miss volume for important terms, but also because there are so many slight variations that accounting for them is almost an impossible task. For instance, I have a client that has a unique name and is very hard to spell. Yet, they are a regional brand so they receive tons of searches on their name. However, people misspell it almost everytime.

So instead of adding literally thousands of variations (I am amazed at some of the spellings) I have the most used spellings, then use modified broad match to account for the others, but if this means I am missing volume, then I will have to revisit adding them.

Thanks for any insight.

David

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rosiel (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Exact Match vs. Broad Match Volume

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Without seeing your keyword list and without any idea on your implementation of BMM... the only thing I can think of is IS.

Impresssion Share. This is the way in which you could identify if you are missing out on any potential volumes.

"Exact match IS: The percentage of impressions that you received for searches that exactly matched your keyword divided by the estimated number of exact match impressions you were eligible to receive. This data is only available for campaigns and ad groups in the Search Network."

Source: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497703

Also, just not having the keywords is not the only way you could miss out on volumes. You could be getting lesser volumes due to a low ad rank too (or a low budget - but you made me assume that you have unlimited budget)... 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David,

In addition to shweta's great response, I just wanna bring in your notice "New Matching behaviour Of Phrase and Exact Match" Now you do not need to add plurals, varaints, mispells manually in your campaign. Best part is that this feature is open for opt-in and opt-out under campaign settings. Please check it out if you haven't yet!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello David & the ladies

I am sure when you talk about volume,you don't mean irrelevant volume but quality volume which should actually be the endeavor. Its true when you mention that its hard to pull out every single variation out of the STR into the keyword list for which the BMM should do good.

As Neha mentioned the BMM would cover the close variations of the keyword which now the exact and phrase also do. More specifically apart from covering these close variations the BMM would cover searches which match exactly + close variations + having other words within search term as well (with a restriction that the query consists of the words you have modified).

Taking an example:

Keywords in the ad group (k1,k2,k3):

k1- +red +shoes

k2- [red shoes]

k3- "red shoes"

Query 1- red shoes 

In this case k2 would trigger covering the close variations as well (if opted in).

Query 2- buy red shoes

k3 will trigger the ad (including close variation) being more restrictive than BMM and would keep triggering for queries having words before or after "red shoes" while k1 & k2 are out.

Query 3- buy red laced shoes

k1 will trigger the ad (considering the bids are good enough to target broad terms) with k2 and k3 out.

So,Unless you want to target synonyms and related searches,these match types shall give you good enough volume.

Hope I understood your query clearly!