AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Every Time I change Display Settings Click drop to zero

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So recently I've been setting up clients on Display Ad campaigns and looking into the Targeting aspects of it. On two Display ad campaigns I realized that there geo targeting was set to all territories, which was giving them a huge amount of clicks at a penny a click, it wasn't bad traffic most of it coming from China but it wasn't conversion traffic either as these are RV websites. I changed the GeoTargeting to local cities and states inputting specific ones and had all traffic drop to zero for roughly five days before it started to pick up traffic again.

Yesterday I changed my GeoTargeting on a different site removing everything and adding a 200 mi radius around the city the business was in, prior to this I had individually listed all the citys and states within that 200 mi radius. I checked this morning and got zero clicks for yesterday where I had been recieving between 50-70.

I have also been working on using the Interests tab in Display Ads it worked on a Display Ad campaign I had set up for a boat company so I wanted to try it on my RV companies. When I set up it up my clicks went down to zero from being in the 50's and higher. I waited about five days to see if it would pick up traffic and it didn't so I deleted them all and slowly my traffic started to raise.

Why is it every time I change my settings in Display Ads it goes down to zero.?

1 Expert replyverified_user

I change Display Settings and Clicks Zero Out

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So recently I've been setting up clients on Display Ad campaigns and looking into the Targeting aspects of it. On two Display ad campaigns I realized that there geo targeting was set to all territories, which was giving them a huge amount of clicks at a penny a click, it wasn't bad traffic most of it coming from China but it wasn't conversion traffic either as these are RV websites. I changed the GeoTargeting to local cities and states inputting specific ones and had all traffic drop to zero for roughly five days before it started to pick up traffic again.

Yesterday I changed my GeoTargeting on a different site removing everything and adding a 200 mi radius around the city the business was in, prior to this I had individually listed all the citys and states within that 200 mi radius. I checked this morning and got zero clicks for yesterday where I had been recieving between 50-70.

I have also been working on using the Interests tab in Display Ads it worked on a Display Ad campaign I had set up for a boat company so I wanted to try it on my RV companies. When I set up it up my clicks went down to zero from being in the 50's and higher. I waited about five days to see if it would pick up traffic and it didn't so I deleted them all and slowly my traffic started to raise.

Why is it every time I change my settings in Display Ads it goes down to zero?

Re: Every Time I change Display Settings Click drop to zero

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi SEO,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your Display Settings issue, I see you recently were in communication with an AdWords support member. Please confirm if they were to help you resolve this issue. Or if you still need assistance.

Re: I change Display Settings and Clicks Zero Out

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi SEO C,

Are you by chance using automated bidding or conversion optimizer? Sometimes when I make large changes while using auto-bidding it can take the system a few days to adjust. Five days does seem like an abnormally long period of time though.

Hope that helps!

Re: I change Display Settings and Clicks Zero Out

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello SEO C,

As you have said targeting is 200 miles radius, so your ads should get good no. of impressions and clicks. Apart from this check other targeting options to be sure you have not narrowed your campaign by choosing multiple targeting methods.
For example - If you select keywords, interest, topics, gender etc. in single ad group and then in bidding method you choose "Bid Only", your ads will get few impression. Because you have set many restrictions.
Try creating separate ad groups for each audience targeting method and use "target and bid" option.
I hope this will change the situation.