AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Estimating Ad position before the start

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Is there any way to see the estimated ad position before I run the campaign based on the bid amount and given quality score?

It would mean that the ad has a zero CTR (and no other metrics) and I simply want to see how the position is affected by the function of bidding and the quality score.

Kevin

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Estimating Ad position before the start

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

No there isn´t. You can always use the "Keyword tool" to get an estimate of how much a top-of-the-page-position-click will cost. But that´s just an estimate on how much other advertisers pay for that in general, and their bids and QS might vary widely. Still, it´s far better than nothing and will give you a sense of the ppc-costs in your segment

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

No there isn´t. You can always use the "Keyword tool" to get an estimate of how much a top-of-the-page-position-click will cost. But that´s just an estimate on how much other advertisers pay for that in general, and their bids and QS might vary widely. Still, it´s far better than nothing and will give you a sense of the ppc-costs in your segment

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Kevin and welcome,

To follow David above, I would also add here that long time back there was a metric called Adwords Position preference where the advertisers had a flexibility to provide ad position preference to Adwords and depending upon certain factors, Google used to show ads on that particular position which the advertiser is willing to show. 

But later, that metric was retired because of the pitfalls associated with that metric. You can read more here about that:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/04/adwords-position-preference-feature-is.html 

You will have to create a campaign and then you might try Automated Rules (http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en&from=1062065&rd=1) if you want to adjust the ad position of your account.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

In general, I'm not a big fan of discussing "retired" features. Smiley Happy  I did want to add, about this one, that it rarely worked the way advertisers expected or hoped. All it really did was to limit ad exposure--if your ad wasn't eligible to be shown in your "preferred" position, then it didn't get shown at all. Which, in the long run, was not good for advertisers. I was glad to see the feature retired.

Kevin P - The quality score you see in a brand-new campaign is probably going to change rapidly after the ads are active and serving traffic. Or even before that. If you create a new campaign with Ad Groups and Keywords but don't put any ads in at first? You'll see one set of quality scores. After you create ads for the Ad Groups, your quality scores are likely to change almost immediately.

I've been thinking about this and I haven't been able to come up with any meaningful way AdWords could show an "estimated ad position" for a brand-new campaign. Ad position depends, in part, on the competition available at any particular moment. The level of competition in every market changes every hour of every day. The "estimated position" that any such tool gave you at 10:00 am on a Monday might not be at all accurate for 4:00 in the afternoon on a Thursday or 5:00 in the evening on a Sunday. And an "estimated average" is just another way of saying "meaningless data."

Just my $0.02, but I don't think ad position should be at the top of your mind before your campaign is even active.

What about ROI? Have you calculated what you can afford to pay for each conversion? Can you actually afford to pay for the number of clicks it takes to produce a sale if you're bidding for ad position 1 or ad position 2?  And do you really need those positions--what is your conversion rate like when your ads are in the much less expensive position 4 or position 5 ad slots?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*