AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Estimated First/Top Page bids differ by matchtype for the same keyword: Why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey there, 

see my question in the subject line. Has anyone an explanation for this?

Cheers,

Jochen

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jochen S,

First page bid is based on performance and your competition. While what you see in the UI, all match types have the same QS, that is true only for the UI. QS is calculated each time it is used or displayed. For the UI, it only has the exact match form to work with, so the QS will usually show the same for each match type. That's not true for when the keyword enters the auction. AW will generally select the most restrictive match type to enter the auction. If exact match applies, it will enter the auction. If phrase match qualifies but exact match doesn't, the phrase match will enter the auction. If Broad or BMM qualify and neither phrase nor exact qualify, they will be selected to enter the auction. The QS will be different from what you see in the UI and you will need to bid accordingly.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Pete, everything you wrote is correct. However, I was asking about "estimated first page/top of page" bids and not about QS. Cheers, Jochen

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jochen S,

The estimated first page/top of page bids are directly related to the QS in that AdRank is what places you at the top of the page. AdRank is basically QS * Max Bid, plus some other factors in extensions. That QS is calculated at the time your ad is eligible to show. The estimated first page bid is based on the history of auctions your ad participated in where a higher bid could have placed you at the top of the page or on the first page.

Pete

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Pete.

So just to make sure I am getting this: While the displayed QS is independent of the keyword's match type the First/Top Page bids aren't. Could I refer to the calculation of those estimates for non-exact keywords as weighted averages for all the keyword queries that have triggered the keyword?

Cheers,

Jochen

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jochen,

You could look at it that way. What I'm trying to convey here is QS when your keyword is eligible for an ad auction will not necessarily be the same as what you see in the UI. That QS is calculated at the time based on the actual search query. First/Top Page estimates are based on all auctions for which the keyword was eligible and what bid it would have taken to get that position. You can run search terms reports to find out what queries have triggered your ad, then add negative, phrase match, and exact match keywords as are appropriate.

Pete