AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Escape quotes ( " ): First line starts with " and the second line ends with " = ambiguous rowtype

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I have an excel file with campaign I'm trying to upload via copy-paste with AdWords Editor.

I have 2 types of ads in this file:

1st type

Description line 1 = " Helo world ...

Description line 2 = hello again "

This line fails - I get "ambiguous rowtype" error and in preview I see both of these description lines sitting in Descprion line 1 column without any quotes.

2nd type

Description line 1 = " Helo world ...

Description line 2 = hello again " bye

So you see the only difference is a bit of text after the quote in 2nd line (it can be even whitespace).

This line works just fine.

How can I stop AdWords editor from throwing that error?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Escape quotes ( " ): First line starts with " and the second line ends with " = a

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
In CSV format, double quotes need to be escaped, like this:

"""Hello world"
"hello again"""

That is, the whole field is enclosed in quotes, and any quotes within the field are doubled up.

Quoting the field allows it to contain characters that normally have special meaning in the format - commas, tabs, line breaks. That's why

"hello world<tab>hello again"

would be taken as a single field that happens to contain a tab character, whereas

"""hello world"<tab>"hello again"""

are two fields, each containing a quote.

Now, Excel and similar spreadsheet applications generally know this: if you enter text in your spreadsheet that contains quotes (or commas or tabs or line breaks), and export to CSV, Excel would escape the fields correctly. I'm guessing you are preparing your CSV file with some kind of a third party tool, which apparently doesn't follow the rules properly. In this case, you may want to contact the vendor of that tool and have them fix it.