AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Error: "This ad is not eligible to run" for Approved GDN text ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Could someone please clarify what it means when approved ads have the error message "This ad is not eligible to run."?

My apologies if this post repeats other posts (such as this one and that one), but I cannot find a good answer.

So, I have an account that is only running in the Google Display Network. In some campaigns there are ad groups with approved ads, however if I hover the pointer over the bubble (in Campaigns > Ads > Status bar) I get the following error message:

Ad showing now?

No  This ad is not eligible to run.
Additional information:
- The status itself is "Approved"
- So it is not an issue with ads not being reviewed yet, and therefore wont be shown in the GDN.
- Nor is it a family status issue, since that would have shown up as "Approved (non-family)" or "Approved (adult)".
- And it is not a case with flash ads directed towards mobile phones (because these are text ads and that would have shown up as "Approved (limited)").
- There are no billing issues on the account.
- I cant see there being any possible trademark issues.
- We have a different account running search ads only for the same site, and those ads are running as normal, with quality scores running in the 3 - 10 range (with over 600 keywords where QS=10), so this is not a Landing Page Quality issue.
- The campaigns in this account are only running in the GDN. The Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool will therefore not provide any information.
- The average position of the ads that do generate impressions ranges from 1 to 2.4, so I dont believe it is caused by low bids.
- The relative CTR for the account is 0.7x, with campaigns ranging between 0.5x - 1.4x. While this is not stellar, I can't see that it would merit an account wide punishment, as I have other accounts with similar results where this is not an issue.
- Finally, the weirdest part: Some of these text ads seem to be accumulating some impressions and clicks (but not too much), however, in some ad groups the accompaning flash ads (that do not have the error message in the status bar) have 0 impressions and 0 clicks.
- I am not sure when it started, but judging by the drop in traffic, I am guessing that this started in the beginning of March 2012.
I sent an email to the AdWords support team, but only got a canned response about "Tips for success on the Google Content Network". Not very useful.
Can someone tell me what is going on here? Am I missing something fundamental & obvious? Or is this an identified bug that is affecting some users?
Any insights would be highly appreciated.
Best & thanks
Håvard

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author havardo
September 2015

Re: Double serving policy violation

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 12
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I got a "precise-ish" clarification from Google support.

In case anyone else has this problem in the future, "This ad is not eligible to run" when shown for ads in the GDN means that the Quality Score based on the adgroup's history is so low that it is barring the ad from genereting impressions.

It means you should have done an optimization long time ago.

Also, Google support devoted half the email to relative CTRs. I was advised to work more on the relative CTR in order to improve the Quality Score.

Key take-aways:

• relative CTR is an important ingredient for calculating the GDN Quality Score.
  • based on this experience, a relative CTR in the range 0.5x - 0.7x over a sustained period of time can give you a low GDN Quality Score.
  • "This ad is not eligible to run" = Your QS is really really low, and an optimization is well over-due.
  • The Quality Score for GDN is not reported in the AdWords interface Smiley Sad.

Kudos to Dinesh for pointing out the quality score as an issue, and to Moshe for pointing out the double-serving policy.

Best & Thanks

Håvard

View solution in original post

Re: Error: "This ad is not eligible to run" for Approved GDN text ads

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Havardo,

You cover almost all resons for your ad is not running in GDN. Few reason for not showing your ad can be 

• Low quality score of ads for GDN
  • If you set low daily budget for your campaign, your ad will show less often in display network.
  • Further try to increase the bid for GDN, low bid can prevent to show your ads at GDN.
Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Håvard; welcome to Adwords community;

First, it's nice that you had searched the community for previous discussions on the problem, prior to posting your question. Not many do so. That's appreciated. It saves us time when helping users.Smiley Happy

To focus the question, let me see if I got your problem right:

• You have an ad-group (with how many ads?) that their status (of all of them ) is Approved.
  • The campaign is set for GDN only.
  • When you hover with your mouse on the "balloon box" next to the ad, you get the message: "This ad is not eligible to run."

Have I summarized your problem correctly?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your reply.

The quality score for the GDN could be worth checking out.

Is there anywhere in the account where I can find this information. I have the QS as a column under the Keywords-tab, but since these campaigns are not running in the search network, no score is provided.

I dont think the budget is an issue. These are several campaigns with 20 - 50 euro budgets each. These budgets are not huge, but on other accounts I have had no issues running smaller budgets.

Also, those ads that do get impressions get positions averaging in the area 1 - 2.4, so I am confident I can rule out the bids. In fact, I also double checked that there were no ad level bids messing up the ad group level bids. I will try to increase bids further and see what happens.

Best

Håvard

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshe, 

Thanks Smiley Happy and yes, you have summarized the problem correctly.

Just to clarify further, this account is only running in the GDN (the client has another account running on search), and we have this issue in several campaigns.

These campaigns are quite old, so some of them have a few disapproved ads from ages ago (when destination URLs changed), however I find this issue both in campaigns with and without old disapproved ads.

To give an example, I have an ad group with 9 ads:

• 4 text ads that are Approved - with the error message.
  • 5 flash ads that are Approved - without the error message.
  • 0 old disapproved ads.

The text ads are generating some impressions (but not much). The flash ads are not generating impressions.

Finally, this is in the education vertical, so there should be no policy or family status issues to my knowledge.

Maybe it is an account wide issue, since it happens in more than one campaign?

Best

Håvard

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Håvard

The following caught my attention: You wrote:

• " this account is only running in the GDN (the client has another account running on search)"

This is a serious violation of the Policy : "One Business - One Account!

Does the client have another account or another campaign for search?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshe,

Regarding multiple accounts for one client:

It is fairly common with businesses operating in several countries to have several accounts in MCC accounts, where each child account corresponds to a country or territory.

This particular client has one account exclusively for search, and another exclusively for GDN, and they share the same direct MCC account.

This set up was in fact proposed and implemented by our previous account manager at Google in Dublin many years ago, when Google agency account managers would work with almost all accounts in under an agency MCC (as opposed to now, when they only work with a few of the high spenders).

It was done for two reasons.

• Before the new AdWords interface, reporting for GDN and Search separately was a lot easier that way.
  • People who should only have access to GDN reporting do not have access to search reporting. (You can have one agency work on search and another work on display).

The AdWords policy wording could of course have changed since then. However, I cannot find the wording you are refering to. Could you please share the link to that particular policy? I usually find my way easily in the policy pages, but this one I cannot find.

In any case, thanks for pointing this out!

Best

Håvard

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Håvard;

As long as I am familiar with AdWords (since 2008), there as been no change in AdWords policy:

• Unless explicitly advised by Google, individuals advertising for themselves or for their own businesses may only have a single AdWords account. However, your account may contain multiple ad groups and ads triggered by the same or similar keywords.

As I said in another discussion, on this community, this is a cornerstone of the policy. If you run a search (using the search box), you'll find many discussions on account suspension due to violation of this clause.

My recommendation is to sort that out, before it would be too late...

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Thank you Moshe for linking to the policy you referred to... and you are right that there is a one business one account policy.

On the other hand, the policy also says "Unless explicitly advised by Google".

In our case this setup was in fact advised by a Google employee in Dublin, so I think we are in the clear : We were explicitly advised by Google to do this. I might remember wrong, but I think the display account was created by the account manager at Google. Should the account be suspended (which I doubt will happen), I am fairly confident we can get it up and running again by forwarding the correspondance between us and the Google employee at that time.

Also, I believe a violation of this policy would have gotten one of two reactions from Google

• either, an email clearly warning about account suspension
  • or, a silent measure in the background barring the entire account from generating any impressions at all

Moshe, do you have any examples of reactions from Google that are more or less confirmed to be as a result of a violation of that particular policy?

In case of a policy violation where the scope of the policy is on the account level (not ad or keyword level) I believe we should have seen a complete stop.

In our case, we are seeing a drop in visibilty across the account, but it is still genereting impressions and clicks (just much less so than usual, and many ads have the error message raising our eyebrows).

After looking at the relative CTRs in these campaigns, I see that many of the adgroups have had relative CTRs in the range 0.5x - 0.7x over a long time. This makes me lean more towards the suggestion from Dinesh, that there might be a low quality score for the GDN on these campaigns. A low QS would result in lower impressions and clicks, but not a complete stop.

So, all in all, I am think we have narrowed this down to either

• Double-serving policy violation as suggested by Moshe
  • Low Quality Score as suggested by Dinesh

I will do a deep dive, and exclude placements generously for these campaigns. If the underlying problem is low QS then that should solve the problem (though certainly after a painfully long wait). If four weeks of excluding placements does not improve the situation, I think we can conclude that the problem is a violation of the double-serving policy.

Thanks for your insights, both Dinesh and Moshe. Do let me know if you have any additional info you believe to be relevant. I am particularily interested in knowing how to see the QS on GDN campaigns (The QS column in the Keywords-tab does not provide any info for GDN).

Best

Håvard

Re: Double serving policy violation

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Håvard

Here you are, two examples, lately discussed on this community, of accounts being suspended, due to violation of AdWords' "double serving" policy:

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Latest-campaign-has-resulted-in-Suspension-...

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Account-Suspended-No-Notification-Of-Why-Help-Plea...