AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Equal quality score & max cpc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know what happens when there are 2 keywords with the same quality score and same max.cpc - how are ad positions then considered?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Equal quality score & max cpc

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

There are many possible scenarios but Google has provided us some info on what happens in these cases. You can read more about it here: How similar keywords match to search terms.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@DunstantoughMEC 

Perhaps are you reffering to 2 different advertisers competing in an Ad auction , having the same keyword, same QS and same MaxCPC down to a cent  instead of an inner keyword competition in your account ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah so I mean if 2 competing keywords are bidding on the same keyword and have the same QS & Max,CPC to the nearest cent.

What would happen then? Historical context?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
I have no idea what happens with this situation with 2 advertisers bidding identical. However I did find out that now the ad rank formula has changed and includes the data from extensions too :

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/10/improving-ad-rank.html

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dunstan, 

The quality score that is shown in Adwords is not the same as the one used internally by google when running ad auctions. The real one(s) is (are) more complex:

- A single keyword actually has multiple QS used in different situations (one for calculating ad rank, one for calculating CPC, etc)

- They all most likely have decimals that make them more precise.

- The visible QS in adwords is an approximation of the real ones.

(To learn more about it, read Craig Danuloff's book: QS in high resolution, it was written in conjuction with folks at Google, it's not made up information)

If the visible QS we see in AdWords is only an aproximation of a more process used behind the scenes, there will always be something for Google to judge if one advertiser should earn a higher place in the ad auction or not. 

Chris