AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Campaigns: why not make Platform rather than Device specific?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There's been a lot of chatter re: Google removing the ability to control which devices are served by Enhanced Campaigns, due for imminent rollout. In part this is understandable and acceptable, as there's really little point in 'general' advertisers distinguishing between myriad smartphones and tablets.

But not being able to distinguish between PLATFORMS is an issue. Not everyone wants their ads on phones or tablets, and some may only want their ads on phones and never on computers. So why not lump Smartphones and Tablets together in epononymous Platform categories, exactly like Computers are currently?

Advertisers can then choose between 3 concise, aggregated Platforms keeping them (more) happy, and the Google AdWords system becomes more streamlined as is desired without removing too much advertiser control. This compromise helps everyone. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced Campaigns: why not make Platform rather than Device speci

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello tomhuntcreates;

This is a nice question; Since I agree with your arguments, I gave it some thoughts,

I find an analogy between the current situation, to one excited in 1996. (I don't know where you were then). In 1996 (then the internet at its early stage) Microsoft changed course and started to focus solely on the internet as the future (abandoning the stand alone machines and local network) - This came to be true.

Since last year it looks that Google has been putting all its efforts and goals on mobile. Google sees mobile as the future platform of all users (especially consumers), and has been allocating much of Google's resources on mobile.

Google will not go back. We'll have to adopt...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a mobile ONLY advertiser, this is quite literally the death of my campaigns with Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Further to the above, I also target ads based on device. Being able to say "get this on iPhone", further boosts CTR. These new changes make it impossible for individualize ads based on platform. What if I don't want WiFi traffic? What if I don't want iPod Touch traffic? What if my product only works on Android, so I don't want to target iPhone users?

There was clearly no thought put into this decision. The new targeting cripples the future of AdWords advertising, since it's clear the future IS mobile.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This idea is absolutely crazy... I target mobile only traffic. Why would you give the advertiser less options?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Not to be disagreeable Moshe, but it seems to me to be the opposite.

You can still "opt out" of mobile devices by reducing your bids. You cannot opt out of desktop or tablet PC's though. With mobile device and tablet sales outpacing desktop/laptop sales, and already the more prolific devices in some countires, it seems like this is an attempt to hang on to the last throws of desktop CPC revenue for as long as possible. 

I do agree that many if not most beginning advertisiers don't segment by device - Advanced campaigns aren't going to change that. If their first / one and only campaign is opted into all devices, it will stay opted into all devices. No change there.

"...not being able to distinguish between PLATFORMS is an issue. Not everyone wants their ads on phones or tablets, and some may only want their ads on phones and never on computers."

Yes indeed, I agree completely.

"So why not lump Smartphones and Tablets together in epononymous Platform categories, exactly like Computers are currently?"

Tablets are essentially desktop PC's nowadays. eReaders were the "fad". What is a tablet/laptop/desktop is up for debate. The big difference is between smartphones and non-smartphones. User behavior being the most important factor, above and beyond screen size or any other physical difference between devices. 

Tom

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Tom;
You are correct; but the user wants to opt out from desktop - he has only mobile campaigns. You cannot opt-out from desktop campaigns completely;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

That's why I was trying to not be disagreeable, but of course failed completely. How often have I done that? I guarintee you, this won't be the last time I say or do something counter to my intentions. I'm stupid like that. Smiley Happy

"Since last year it looks that Google has been putting all its efforts and goals on mobile..."

On reading this again, I do not disagree at all, the acqusition of at least a portion of motorola confirms that...

YES, I do completely agree with the OP. You cannot opt out of desktop targeting. Mobile only, call only, (or tablet only) campaigns no longer exist.

Unless, there is still a chance that TC's for example can perhaps let the big G know that call only campaigns for example have some measure of demand for many businesses. Perhaps between now and June, or thereabouts, enough positive critiquing of the seemingly draconian measures taken in regards to device targeting, can be compromised on or with advertisers, so that ALL of the POSITIVE potential benefits of advanced campaigns are not overshadowed by the negative user experience of elimination of device segmentation.

Or, am I wrong to still try to be hopeful? 

Yes, I agree completely - Lack of mobile only (or tablet only) campaigns is the concern (and could also be easily remedied, without losing any of the benefits of advanced campaigns). I could not agree more! I just did a really terrible job of expressing that. Smiley Happy Which, again, I do far, far too often. 

Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Didn't Google modify their position on ad rotation options after the uproar? Just saying the dealt hand needs to be played, but Google needs to know this is not looking like a good idea from the front lines.

I agree with some of Tom Jrs writing that it is hard to see how dumbing down granularity makes Google more money in the long run. Almost like the decision was made to take a step backwards in usability in an effort to prop-up short term mobile generated revenue.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the data was reviewed that went into this decision.

btw, first post in a long time from a charter ex-Top Contributor. For whatever that is worth.

-T

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Tom and welcome back!

I can see a pretty clear way in which this move could generate more revenue for Google, but to be honest it's not something I want to share publicly as I feel it'll just throw fuel onto the fire.

I think it's important not to forget that nothing with Google is ever set in stone.  We know they like to release updates to their products as soon as possible - often before they'd normally be considered "finished" by old-fashioned software standards.  It is quite possible that what we see now is only the first iteration of Enhanced Campaigns and that other features or changes are already in planning.

I could also say it would be rather naive to think that Google couldn't predict the effect this move would have, or to believe they had not thoroughly researched the data that's available to them.

In some ways yes, it is a strange decision, but I doubt it was one made lightly or without good reason.  We simply don't know the debate or the reasoning.  Yes, I'd love to have been another fly on that wall.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits