AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Campaigns display URL for mobile

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I updated my first campaign to the enhanced version and created ads to target mobile that promote our app downlaod since they now have to all be managed in one campaign. I then ran into an issue with our new App/Digital content ads being disapproved.  The error states that I can only have one display url domain per ad group, but doesn’t give me the option to update the display url on the ads I only want to run on mobile. The display url for the new mobile ad was auto generated and says “FREE- Download from Google Play”. The thing is that i want our mobile ads to promote the free app and our other ads to promote our website. Is it possible to have both? If not how do i have both mobile and desktop ads in the same campaign?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Enhanced Campaigns display URL for mobile

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CBWY5,

You are not allowed to mix display URL domains in a single Ad Group. You'll need to place the ad for mobile app in a separate ad group.

In the group for desktop and tablets, set the mobile bid to -100%. That will prevent the desktop ads from showing on mobile devices. Then create the ad group for mobile devices. Set the default bid to less than 1/3 of the desktop bid, then set mobile bids to one of the options to increase the bid (+100%, +200%, +%300). Since the bids in the desktop group are higher for desktops, they will have a higher ad rank and that should prevent the mobile group ads from on desktops and tablets.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CBWY5,

You are not allowed to mix display URL domains in a single Ad Group. You'll need to place the ad for mobile app in a separate ad group.

In the group for desktop and tablets, set the mobile bid to -100%. That will prevent the desktop ads from showing on mobile devices. Then create the ad group for mobile devices. Set the default bid to less than 1/3 of the desktop bid, then set mobile bids to one of the options to increase the bid (+100%, +200%, +%300). Since the bids in the desktop group are higher for desktops, they will have a higher ad rank and that should prevent the mobile group ads from on desktops and tablets.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the solution to my question, Its much appreciated. I have a quick follow up for you. I would like to use the same set of KW for my second ad group targeting the mobile app because the KW are just our company name and slight variatons, so won't this compete with my first ad group on some level since i can't completely opt out of desktop/tablet?

Thanks,

Curtis

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Curtis,

Yes, they will compete to an extent. But you can designate certain ads for mobile display. It seems if you create only ads for mobile display within the mobile app group, that should minimize the effect. And the bids in this group will be lower than those in the desktop group because that's how we set it up, right? That should result in keyword/ads with a higher ad rank in the desktop group. And, since mobile bids in the desktop group are all zero  (-100%), the mobile app group should show for the same keywords on mobile devices.

I don't know if anyone has tried this or if they might have results on how well this works, so I'm not making any guarantees, but it should work.

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Petebardo & Curtis

I think now the best practice is to use the {if mobile if not} parameter explaining here.

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2013/03/new-valuetrack-parameters-for-enhanced.html
What do you think?

Cheers

Thomas

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you can use ifmobile to write the destination URL (mobile or desktop page), but that's really not the user's question.

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry I thought Curtis wanted to send:

• mobile user ==> to mobile ads ==> App
  • desktop user ==> to desktop ads ==> website

That is why I thought using {if mobile if not} parameter could be simpler.
Same keywords, if mobile go to app, if desktop go to the website.