AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Email retargeting is possible with AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I wonder if email re-targeting is available with AdWords.

If so, inserting the Google re-targeting code in the email source code will do, as we generally do it for website re-targeting?

Please advise!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DJ L
September 2015

Re: Email retargeting is possible with AdWords?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi DJ L, as Pete has already said, there's no way to create a remarketing list from people who have merely opened your email, you need them to visit your site.  Remarketing relies upon a physical site visit to operate.

I would perhaps suggest that if people have opened your mail and not visited your site they're probably not the best targets for remarketing anyway.  Remarketing tends to work best on people that almost bought your product, the ones who stayed on the site for several minutes, put something in their basket but didn't checkout, visited the page about delivery/shipping costs, etc.  If your group has opened an email from you and not visited the site, I'd say they are showing a pretty strong disinterest in buying from you and remarketing to them is as likely to annoy them as create more sales.

It probably is worth using custom tracking code in your links within the emails so you can identify the visitors to your site who do come from the emails.  These are showing a much better interest and it would be these people I'd be more interested in remarketing to - perhaps more even than organic visitors to your site.  These are people who've opened your mail, read it, then thought "Yes, I'd like to see the website" and that's quite a big "tick" in terms of potential customers.

You can use the Custom URL builder here to create URLs for your links that will allow these email visitors to appear under specific sources in Analytics (and therefore become a specific remarketing list).  In your case the "Source" would be your name for the particular email shot, e.g. June2013 Email, the medium would be "email" and the Campaign Name could be whatever you like that makes sense, maybe "Summer 2013" to cover all the mailshots you send this Summer.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi DJ L, can you give us some more details of what you're considering?

Do you want to email people on a remarketing list or create a remarketing list from people you've emailed?

If it's the latter, it would be best to use custom tags on links in emails which you can then pick up in Analytics to form a remarketing list.

More about Custom Tags - the URL Builder

Jon

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi DJ L,

For a number of technical reasons, that won't work. You can place the re-marketing code on the landing page for your email. If the user clicks on the link, they become aprt of the list.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon! Thanks for your comments.

I have a website with Google re-targeting code installed, and also am managing Google Display Network(GDN) ads. My ads (image banners) appear to those people who have visited my website.

I also send emails to my customers occasionally, and recently I noticed many of them open my email, but don't visit my website. I hope to re-target these people (email openers who don't visit my website yet) and want to show my ads to them, via GDN.

Could you please advise? Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello DJ L,

Do one thing Create Re marketing list with your e-mailer url that could solve your problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Majid, could you please give more details to do that? Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DJ L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi DJ L, as Pete has already said, there's no way to create a remarketing list from people who have merely opened your email, you need them to visit your site.  Remarketing relies upon a physical site visit to operate.

I would perhaps suggest that if people have opened your mail and not visited your site they're probably not the best targets for remarketing anyway.  Remarketing tends to work best on people that almost bought your product, the ones who stayed on the site for several minutes, put something in their basket but didn't checkout, visited the page about delivery/shipping costs, etc.  If your group has opened an email from you and not visited the site, I'd say they are showing a pretty strong disinterest in buying from you and remarketing to them is as likely to annoy them as create more sales.

It probably is worth using custom tracking code in your links within the emails so you can identify the visitors to your site who do come from the emails.  These are showing a much better interest and it would be these people I'd be more interested in remarketing to - perhaps more even than organic visitors to your site.  These are people who've opened your mail, read it, then thought "Yes, I'd like to see the website" and that's quite a big "tick" in terms of potential customers.

You can use the Custom URL builder here to create URLs for your links that will allow these email visitors to appear under specific sources in Analytics (and therefore become a specific remarketing list).  In your case the "Source" would be your name for the particular email shot, e.g. June2013 Email, the medium would be "email" and the Campaign Name could be whatever you like that makes sense, maybe "Summer 2013" to cover all the mailshots you send this Summer.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

DJ L,

There is no way to Re marketing on opened mail, Just make Aggressive call to action in your mailer and convert your viewer into visitor on website or mailer Url.

Exp.
http://yourhomeplanners.com/mailer/inspire/index.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hy lets try

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi DJ L,

Have you given Google Sponsored Promotions (GSP) a try?

Its a beta in many countries but is available to AdWords accounts with US or European billing.

If retargeting your customer base is your objective, i believe GSP could be the answer to your question. You can have a custom creative with a form inbuilt or an embedded video in the emailer that you send across. You can use the list of already existing email ids (gmail.com only though) you have from your customers and retarget them easily.

Hope this helps!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"