AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Eliminating viral, arbitrage, "buzzfeed" sites

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the best way to eliminate viral, arbitrage, "buzzfeed" sites on Display Network?

Is there a specific topic category for these sites?

Is it possible to have url exclusion for keywords such as viral, buzz, feed etc?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Eliminating viral, arbitrage, "buzzfeed" sites

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric
There's no category that excludes them all I'm afraid. I too am growing increasingly frustrated with them. I don't believe there's any way that some of them, being alive only a few days, could generate that amount of traffic legitimately. Arbitrage is a great way to put them.

The best bet is obviously going to be using a target and bid keyword strategy with an aggressive URL and keyword exclusion policy. Same thing happened with mobile and Google saw that they weren't driving quality traffic for many advertisers so they gave us (thankfully) a category exclusion. Unfortunately, there's no way to categorize many of them and to be honest, they'd probably just change their names and subject matter to evade this categorization. You can't do that with mobile.

Anyway, hope that's given some food for thought.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric
There's no category that excludes them all I'm afraid. I too am growing increasingly frustrated with them. I don't believe there's any way that some of them, being alive only a few days, could generate that amount of traffic legitimately. Arbitrage is a great way to put them.

The best bet is obviously going to be using a target and bid keyword strategy with an aggressive URL and keyword exclusion policy. Same thing happened with mobile and Google saw that they weren't driving quality traffic for many advertisers so they gave us (thankfully) a category exclusion. Unfortunately, there's no way to categorize many of them and to be honest, they'd probably just change their names and subject matter to evade this categorization. You can't do that with mobile.

Anyway, hope that's given some food for thought.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
David,
Thank you for reply.

I just put the following negative keywords flashlight, viral, feed, buzz. Not sure if there are any other keywords to put on that list?

"so they gave us (thankfully) a category exclusion" Not sure if i saw category to exclude mobile.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I meant mobile apps.

As for the keyword negative lists, it's going to be different for each advertiser. Best bet is to spend a bit of time crawling through your URL report and building it out yourself.

Sorry I can't offer anything better.