AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Editor: Bulk Edit of Final URL of Image Ads changes the Ad ID

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone,

I am stuck in a major problem and would greatly appreciate any help out here. So, I am running multiple Display Ads (ZIP format) with a third party tracking system. The Final URL structure for each ad goes like this:

www.sample.com?/CID={CampaignID}_{AdGroupID}_{AdID}

Thus, each ad has a different Final URL. Also, please note that these IDs are the IDs that Adwords assigns to the ads.

Currently, I use a script to extract the Campaign, Adgroup and Ad IDs from Adwords and generate the Final URL. I then paste the Final URLs of all ads in bulk using Adwords Editor. However I've noticed that in order to make any changes in bulk for Display Ads, the File Path for the adimage (for example: C:\Marketing\ad1.zip) also has to be added as a column (See image below).

h2.PNG

Now, this is where the situation gets a bit tricky. Everytime I change the Final URLs of the existing ads, and then post them, Adwords assigns a new ID to the existing ads, thus ensuring that I always have the wrong AdID in the Final URL.

If I don't inlcude the File path, then Adwords editor does not update the Final URLs of the existing ads, but instead creates new Image Ads (but without any image). I am using Adwords Editor 11.3.2 (the latest one). In the previous AdWords editor, when I uploaded Display Ads through the interface, they would always show up in the Display Ads column in the Editor. But with the new editor, Display Ads uploaded through the interface show up in the Image Ads column.

My Questions are:
- Is it not possible to edit JUST the Final URL in bulk for Image Ads without having to add the File Path Column as well? (My guess is that the reason it asks for the File Path is because it needs the Final Path to uniquely identify each ad - but isn't there any other way)
- Is there any other way around this problem?

I don't want to manually insert the Final URL for each ad because I have hundreds of ads.

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shreyans J
April 2016

Re: Editor: Bulk Edit of Final URL of Image Ads changes the Ad ID

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Shreyans, how are things?

The Final URL cannot have tracking information, that's what's probably causing the problem. To use 3rd party tracking you should use the Tracking Template field combined with the Final URL.

Final URL: www.sample.com

Tracking Template: {lpurl}?/CID={CampaignID}_{AdGroupID}_{AdID}

Where {lpurl} will be replaced with the url from the Final URL field.

You can find a complete guide on how to use this here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shreyans J
April 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Shreyans, how are things?

The Final URL cannot have tracking information, that's what's probably causing the problem. To use 3rd party tracking you should use the Tracking Template field combined with the Final URL.

Final URL: www.sample.com

Tracking Template: {lpurl}?/CID={CampaignID}_{AdGroupID}_{AdID}

Where {lpurl} will be replaced with the url from the Final URL field.

You can find a complete guide on how to use this here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Shreyans.

I think you're complicating things unnecessarily. You can use a tracking template and ValueTrack parameters, as described here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

And the beauty of it all is that you only need the {creative} parameter, because that's the ad id, it is unique and it is also assigned at runtime. So you don't need to know it in advance.

If you need the campaign and ad group as well (presumably because you use a reporting system other than Google Analytics), you can extract it from an ad report, or even via a script in which you extract the campaign, ad group and ad id for each ad. The ad id ({creative}) being unique, once you know it you can find the campaign and ad group in which that ad sits.

Let us know if I've managed to make myself understood and if this solves your problem.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you @leandrofm, this solves my problem. I am using Tracking Template, just didn't know what its purpose was.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi @AdWiser,

Thank you for your detailed response. I think you are right, and in fact I was using the tracking template, just didn't know what it's purpose was. Once again, thanks for taking out the time to write this post. Appreciate it.