AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Easy AdWords Remarketing with Rule Based Lists

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello folks,

There have been a couple of changes recently in terms of the possibilities available with AdWords remarketing that I wanted to share with you all if you haven’t already seen the news on the AdWords Blog.

There is a new version of the remarketing tag available that will give you more flexibility with your remarketing lists. With the new remarketing tag, you only need to put one new piece of remarketing code across all the pages on your site, then chose the users you want to target (for example who have visited a certain page in your site) by using URL based rules.

This means that you only need to deal with your remarketing code once, but can make multiple URL based rules as your marketing strategy changes over time. This link will help you set up remarketing if you haven’t already tried it.

For example, if you ran a pet shop online and wanted to target people who had visited your page about dogs, you could use a URL based rule stating that you wanted to target users who have been to a page in your site whose URL contains the word “dog”.

Has anyone tried out the new remarketing code yet? How have you found it?

Good luck with the campaigns!

Alys

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Easy AdWords Remarketing with Rule Based Lists

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there Chetan,

In this instance you could use either Analytics or AdWords remarketing, but the key would be to use URL based rules that reflect the locations you are trying to target. So, for example you could create a URL based rule that states for users that viewed a page with 'Albany' in the URL you want to show them a certain range of ads based on this location. You would need a new rule for each locaiton and separate ads for these locations (if the ads were to have info on these specific locations).  

To create this remarketing list you could use either Analytics or AdWords. If you already have Analytics code across your website, you would need to make a small tweak to the code then you would be able to use this as your remarketing code too. However, if you don't have Analytics or want to use AdWords remarketing for any particular reason I would recommend generating a piece of new remarketing code and using this to target your customers. 

In relation to Google Tag Manager, this is just a way of organising and managing your marketing tags (like conversion tracking, remarketing code, and analytics code) rather than a way of targeting users themselves. This link here explains this in a little further detail if you want any more information on this. 

Does anyone else from the Community have any thoughts on this for Chetan? 

A. 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Alys,

I have tried the new remarketing code and I really like it. Since many clients already use analytics it is an easy modification. I also think it makes it easier to create lists for categories of a site than the old code was.

As far as I am concerned it is a major improvement over the old method!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Agree, a great improvement.

But isn´t "analytics remarketing" an ever greater improvement?!?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi David, 

Yes there has been some great developments with Analytics Remarketing too. This has been discussed in a bit more depth on the Analytics Community. For those who are interested in remarekting with Analytics too, this link will give you some further information on it. 

A. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a question on Remarketing.

Details Of Business - Real Estate Broking Site. Multi City Listings Of around more than 100 cities.

Objective - To show ads to users of cities to which they visited. Example - If an user visited the Albany,NY Condos Page. He needs to be again shown an ad of that city and that type of property only. Its a lead generation campaign. Need to show ads to non converted visitors/audiences.

Issues - How to segregate audiences for all these pages to again remarket to them?

Implementation Challenges -

1 Should I Build An Adwords Remarketing List? I already have an old list of 11000 visitors. Can I customize it to add rule based url audiences.

2. Should I use Analytics to build the list? I have read the setup on analytics.

3. Should I use Google Tag Manager?

I am really confused which one of these would be the best platform to manage.

Thanks,

Chetan.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there Chetan,

In this instance you could use either Analytics or AdWords remarketing, but the key would be to use URL based rules that reflect the locations you are trying to target. So, for example you could create a URL based rule that states for users that viewed a page with 'Albany' in the URL you want to show them a certain range of ads based on this location. You would need a new rule for each locaiton and separate ads for these locations (if the ads were to have info on these specific locations).  

To create this remarketing list you could use either Analytics or AdWords. If you already have Analytics code across your website, you would need to make a small tweak to the code then you would be able to use this as your remarketing code too. However, if you don't have Analytics or want to use AdWords remarketing for any particular reason I would recommend generating a piece of new remarketing code and using this to target your customers. 

In relation to Google Tag Manager, this is just a way of organising and managing your marketing tags (like conversion tracking, remarketing code, and analytics code) rather than a way of targeting users themselves. This link here explains this in a little further detail if you want any more information on this. 

Does anyone else from the Community have any thoughts on this for Chetan? 

A. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Alys. I found out from Tag Manager, that I can create as many rules on one remarketing code, rather than generating 100 for different cities. I am just removing all my codes and adding them in one tag manager code. Its the best thing that can be done.

Thanks,

Chetan.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

No problem, I hope that helps Chetan!

Good luck with your new tag. 

A.

YesRe: Easy AdWords Remarketing with Rule Based Lists

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes Implemented it with Tag Manager. Took About 6 Hours To Create Rules For About 300 Pages.

Thanks Alys,

Regards,

Chetan.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Alys wrote:

No problem, I hope that helps Chetan!

Good luck with your new tag. 

A.

I have one more question. How about if I use Analytics Remarketing. I have the changed code.

Then can i add that code in Tag Manager and use it?

What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Chetan.