AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

ECPC vs CPA your views

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Just need your views about ECPC vs CPA. Please share your suggestion which one is effective for conversion based campaigns. 

Thanks,

Kaushik

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kaushik M
September 2015

Re: ECPC vs CPA your views

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kaushik,

As you are going to start with campaigns, I would advise you to focus on setting up proper structure, finding the best keywords, writing great ad copies, and working with your landing page. I would also advise to you to start with a bit lower budget than you actually have initially. Analyze how your campaigns are responding to whatever setup you have done. Now once you have initial history, work with your campaigns accordingly, increase your budget as required, and move on. 

Now once you reach at least 30 to 40 conversions, switch to CPA. However, it is more than the required number (15 in 30 days) of conversions.  but I personally prefer having at least this number of conversions before going to CPA. 

About doing the initial setups, I am sure you know it. I have seen you active in the community so you must be knowing how to get ahead with it Smiley Happy .

All the best.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kaushik, 

It's a nice question. 

A lot depends on your account's existing conversion history in both the scenarios, yet CPA is more robust in comparison to ECPC. Going with conversion optimizer, you give more freedom to the system to optimize your campaigns for better performance. So, you are more likely to get better experience with CPA.

However, it can vary from account to account and campaigns to campaigns.

ECPC works with the maximum CPC bid that you set, while Conversion Optimizer doesn't. More importantly, Conversion Optimizer may modify 100% of your traffic, on the other hand ECPC modifies 50% initially, and then moves that percentage up or down based on how it is performing.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2390684?hl=en

So if I have considerably better conversion history and my client gives me the freedom to explore, experiment, and bring out the best performance, CPA is what I prefer.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ratan for your valuable answer Smiley Happy.

Actually one of my client is asking for conversion but we are about to start the PPC campaign. So for fresh campaign I cannot able to use conversion optimizer. What would be your strategy for this type of situation except ECPC? Please share your view. Other members are also welcome.

Thanks again,
Kaushik
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kaushik M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Kaushik,

As you are going to start with campaigns, I would advise you to focus on setting up proper structure, finding the best keywords, writing great ad copies, and working with your landing page. I would also advise to you to start with a bit lower budget than you actually have initially. Analyze how your campaigns are responding to whatever setup you have done. Now once you have initial history, work with your campaigns accordingly, increase your budget as required, and move on. 

Now once you reach at least 30 to 40 conversions, switch to CPA. However, it is more than the required number (15 in 30 days) of conversions.  but I personally prefer having at least this number of conversions before going to CPA. 

About doing the initial setups, I am sure you know it. I have seen you active in the community so you must be knowing how to get ahead with it Smiley Happy .

All the best.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Kaushik,

As Ratan said above, it will really depend upon account to account as if which option works better and which not. Both the options have some plus and some minus. As an advertiser, you are the best judge to analyse the data and see which option could perform better in your accounts.

However having said that, Conversion Optimizer is more conversion driven option and this works well if you have a good history of conversions in the past and regular conversions are being tracked. In this case, AdWords system will have the full flexibility to make CPC bid changes and show your ad during the ad auction. Few cons about Conversion Optimizer: you cannot use Ad scheduling bid modifications with Conversion Optimizer. You cannot implement this advanced methodology inside Shopping campaigns.

Whereas in terms of ECPC, you still have full control over the bidding strategy, you can use ad scheduling with bid adjustment as well. And in Shopping Campaigns as well, ECPC can be implemented.

So the choice is yours which method you find more adaptable in your accounts Smiley Happy

Pankaj