AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamically change URL & Ad copy based on user location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any possibility of changing the elements of an ad based on the location of the person who searches on Google. For instance, let's say that I advertise a large classified advertisements website with cars for sale. I have a campaign with generic exact match keywords [cars for sale] and the location targeting for this campaign is US.

What I want to do is to create a custom ad that will look like this:

Used cars for sale

Cars for sale in {USER LOCATION}.

Compare thousands of listings now!

www.mywebsite.com

Final URL: www.mywebsite.com/{custom URL path} -> e.g. www.mywebsite.com/cars/Miami

Ad customizers adapts our ad based on someone’s physical location, but unfortunately we can't adapt our URL for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamically change URL & Ad copy based on user location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello. Ad customizers limit you, indeed, at ad text level and you cannot alter the display and destination URL.

However, you may be able to get something going by combining (if the interface allows you, I have not tested it yet), the following:

- ad customizers in order to make the ad look the way you want it to
- a valuetrack parameter inserted in all destination (final URLs), such as www.mywebsite.com/loc={loc_physical_ms}
- a server side logic that assigns the location (which is hopefully the same as the one displayed in the ad) by picking the ID appended by AdWords to the URL and showing the click location based on this table: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

So, in theory, the Miami ad should be served with a 1015116 ID, if the location is not more specific than that. However, you can take the csv from that page and decide how low you want to go with location targeting, and map Miami to several click location IDs.

Hope it helps. If I was too cryptical, please let me know and I'll try to elaborate.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your answer, Calin.

I understand what you are recommending here, but at this point I don't know exactly how I can create that server side logic that assigns the location to the URL.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's not you that has to create it, Alex, it's someone who can pick the ID up from the URL, query a database based on it and change the page content accordingly. It's something that a web developer should be very familiar with.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.