AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic search ads extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi, what's the difference between dynamic ads and dynamic ads extension for search?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ronch
September 2015

Re: Dynamic search ads extensions

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

Did you mean: what's the link between Dynamic search ads and dynamic search ad Extension...

Hope I understood your question right... Smiley Happy

the "Dynamic Search Ads extension" isn't an extension that appears under your main ads like sitelinks or product extensions... Could be a nice feature though...

The "Dynamic Search Ads extension" you see in the drop down is the "activation step" that will allow you to specify which domain you want to run Dynamic Search Ads for.

When creating a new campaign, you will be asked at the settings level to select the types of campaign you want:

Standard (not recommended) 
All features - All the features and options available for the Search Network 

Product listing ads (not recommended) 
Dynamic Search Ads - Ads targeted based on your website content

If you select only "Dynamic search Ads", you will only be able to select the "Dynamic search Ads Extension" in the extensions menu.

If you want to run multiple types of ads within the same campaign, you can select "all Features" in the settings tab and you will have all the available Ads Extensions available to you:

-Location Extensions

-Call Extensions
-Sitelinks Extensions
-Product Extensions
-Social Extensions
-Dynamic Search Ad Extensions
-Mobile App Extensions

The next step to run these Dynamic search Ads is to Create the Ads themselves.

NOTE: The destination URL field should only use third party tracking paramteres, don't enter a valid URL like your home page or anything else; If you don't have third party tracking, just leave it empty (google will choose the URL for you... it's the whole point of DSAs).

Here is a basic way of looking at how it works:

Google screens all your indexed pages

it associates a pool of keyword linked to each page and creates a "bridge" KW <-> URL

(you can think of it as "adgrouped" with possibly URL A/B testing)

visitor types a query for which google has created this bridge

None of your campaigns already has this keyword as [exact]

Google can-may-will generate a dynamic ad pointing to the "selected" and "relevant" URL

If you already bid [exact] on this particular KW, your [exact] keywords will win the auction and your normal search ad will be displayed instead.

Now, DSA can be very costly and should be used cautiously and should be very targeted.

You can guide Google by telling it:

Which indexed pages it should generate ads for via "Auto Targets" tab / "Dyanmic Ad Target".

Which pages to Ignore by adding negative targeting (exclusion) via the "Auto target" tab.

Remember that Headline and destination URL both are generated Dynamicly by google based on the search query / relevancy and content of your site.

And as for running DSA, you will need to signup for it first

Cheers!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 15
Google Employee

Hi all,

Thanks for all the questions. I'm hoping I can clarify a bit here!

You can think of DSA setup as very similar to PLA setup. In order to run DSAs you need 1) an ad, 2) an ad extension, and 3) an auto-taget. The Dynamic Search Ad extension is used to associate the domain of your website with the campaign itself (with PLAs, the product extension is used to associate the merchant center account you want to pull products from to the campaign). From there, you can setup more specific auto-targets within the ad groups. 

For example, let's say I wanted to setup a Dynamic Search ad to target shop.example.com. I'd need to set the DSA extension to website.com and then set my auto-target to that sub-domain specifically. The auto-target would look like: URL contains shop.example.com.

If you were to just implement a DSA extension onto a normal text, search campaign, it's not actually going to alter how your ads appear. You do need to have DSA ads created specifically as well as auto-targets. Additionally, you probably won't even see the functionality to create a DSA ad without first having created the extension.

The reason you are seeing the option to ad DSA extensions to an existing search campaign is because you can add DSAs in with your other normal text ads. So, if you wanted to create a campaign with both ad types, this is why you'd be seeing the option.

Finally, Dynamic Search Ads were recently released out of beta and made available to all advertisers on October 25th, 2012. We're very excited to introduct this feature to a larger advertiser based. You can read more here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions - I'm happy to help!

Happy holidays to all,

Anne

View solution in original post

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ronch, 

I'm not familiar with dynamic ads extensions. All the different type of extensions are listed in this Help center article. Can you please reply back and be more specific where did you hear about this term? 

Zee
G+

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I think dynamic ads feature is in limited release testing. Let me see if I can find some info.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

I think you are confusing / "mixing up" a few different ad types:

There is a dynamic search ad;

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497706

There is a dynamic display ad (limited)

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/dynamicdisplayads.html

And ad extensions that Zee referred to:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375499

Does that info answer your question? 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thanks, Moshe.
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi moshe, 

Don't think i'm confusing here. Smiley Wink

It may be still testing.

Try to open an 'all features' campaign and go to 'ad extensions' - it should apear there.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm seeing this option too, but I still can't quite figure out what it would do with my domain.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@fnippy; @Ronch;

Can you guys upload a screenshot?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

This is what I see when I click to add an extension to an existing campaign. I think this is what Ronch is talking about.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yep!