AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic remarketing with Enhanced Ecommerce Data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have one question. Is there a way to pass data from Enhanced Ecommerce snippets (i.e. via GTM with Data Layer, but not necessarily this way) to use with AdWords Dynamic Remarketing? EE uses lots of data like products id, total values etc. It woudl be pity to have to use another snippet for AdWords Remarketing.

Best Regards,

Andrew

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Dynamic remarketing with Enhanced Ecommerce Data

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Andrzej,

Let me look into an answer to this for you. Will get back to you shortly.

Cheers,

ANP

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Complicated question but I believe the answer lies in using Universal Analytics 'Segments' in your AdWords Remarketing. I believe you need to do the following: 

1. Create a segment based on enhanced e-commerce data. (i) Create a new segment. (ii) Go to 'Advanced' -> 'Sequences' -> 'E-Commerce' -> select your conditions to build your audience. 
  2. Import your segment to AdWords - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6015314?hl=en
  3. Enjoy. 

I hope this answers your question. 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
You also need to create dynamic attributes to send product ID information from GA to AW.
This step is explained here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6002231?hl=en
When using enhanced ecommerce, you should select the Product SKU dimension as the dimension mapped to Product ID.
For pagetype, I believe you can use a dimension called "Shopping Stage", although this attribute is not required to run dynamic remarketing campaigns. You might have to create remarketing lists manually instead of using the lists created by the system automatically.
Let us know if you're able to make this work.

ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
ANP Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Andrzej,

To clarify - are you trying to use Enhanced Ecommerce tracking variables for AW Dynamic Remarketing by using them as values for custom parameters? Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding your question.

If so, its technically possible, however, there is no official ways to do it. You may write your own javascript code in order to capture the values from Enhanced Ecommerce tracking code and then put these values in for AW Remarketing code, but its not something that is officially supported on the Google side.

When it comes to Dynamic Remarketing using Google Analytics, you can use Product SKU information from Enhanced Ecommerce tracking code as Product ID in Google Analytics. However, for other Dynamic Attributes (such as pagetype) you still have to pass values through custom dimensions.

About Google Analytics Dynamic Remarketing:

I hope above helps!

ANP

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ANP,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm trying to use variables from EE as custom parameters for AW Dynamic RMKT. Especially for the ecomm_prodId parameter.

I understand I could use another JavaScript to get all those product SKUs from EE snippet and put them together in one custom parameter, but I also find it as a workaround, not a solution.

I'm wondering is there a way to to pass somehow all the SKU from EE snippet to i.e. one Custom Data Layer Variable to use it with a AdW Dynamic RMKT Tag (without another part of code). I mean - all the SKUs are already there, do I really need to make another custom parameter/variable for them? Smiley Wink

Best Regards,
Andrew

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joshua!

Thanks for the answer! Correct me, if I'm wrong. I understand your suggestion like this:

1. Using SKUs passed wth EE snippet to create a segment of users who've seen particular products.
2. Building custom AdWords remarketing list based on this segment.

But will be able to serve dynamic remarketing Ads to the users? I mean - how AdWords would now which product to show to particular user?

Best regards,
Andrew

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
You don't need to re-tag to do dynamic remarketing in Adwords if you already have EE tags capturing product IDs. In GA, you should simply create dynamic attributes and select Product SKU as the dimension mapped to Product ID.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lothaire,

At first I wasn't sure what you meant, but now I see it more clearly. It might work and I will give it a try.

One thing bothers me, though. If I setup a remarketing tag for AdWords (in GTM) no custom parameter will be passed along (there won't be anything in dataLayer). So, will it work as dynamic RMKT?

I can see there could be a workaround with usage of remarketing lists created in GAnalytics, so I'll give a try also.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Best regards,
Andrew

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It doesn't matter where the "custom parameters" for dynamic remarketing come from (whether it's an Adwords Remarketing tag on your site or a GA tag from a GA property linked to your Adwords account). Adwords will treat them the same. You may want to create your lists in GA though, but you could also create lists in Adwords. The only caveat is that you can't create a dynamic attribute for Pagetype based on enhanced ecommerce dimensions in GA. But that's ok, since it's an optional attribute. Create your remarketing lists manually for your product viewers, cart abandoners etc...
One caveat to note is that you will need to create remarketing lists in GA corresponding to product viewers, cart viewers, buyers. And then in Adwords create custom combinations to remove cart viewers and buyers from product viewers, and buyers from cart viewers, to ensure that the lists you'll use to target your campaign don't overlap. This is because currently in GA there is no way to create lists that remove people once a list condition becomes false.
Let me know if you have questions or have trouble figuring this out.